Older Volvo's PS fluid

In my older Volvo's from 90's, I been using regular trans fluid on the power steering. My favorite was Valvoline Max Life red bottle.
They know include the CVT trans which makes me wonder if the change the old formula. What would you substitute, possible the blue bottle or other choices???

The manual calls for DEX III

Last edited:
In my older Volvo's from 90's, I been using regular trans fluid on the power steering. My favorite was Valvoline Max Life red bottle.
They know include the CVT trans which makes me wonder if the change the old formula. What would you substitute, possible the blue bottle or other choices???

The newest max life is much thinner than the Dex3 spec. I would use one of these

Just playing Amazon, I found this option

ACDelco Gold 10-9240 Type III (H) Automatic Transmission Fluid​

CHF-202 and CHF-11s are both the correct viscosity, but I do not know if your seals, etc. are compatible on that older system, so, I wouldn’t flush it out and switch over.

I would stick with ATF.

Mobil 1 ATF has the same viscosity as DEX III and it marketed for Dex III applications. Good flow when cold means your PS system won’t be stiff when the temperature drops.

This one:

CHF-202 and CHF-11s are both the correct viscosity, but I do not know if your seals, etc. are compatible on that older system, so, I wouldn’t flush it out and switch over.

I would stick with ATF.

Mobil 1 ATF has the same viscosity as DEX III and it marketed for Dex III applications. Good flow when cold means your PS system won’t be stiff when the temperature drops.

This one:

This was my choice for my older BMW that specified ATF. Never an issue.

My older MB cars specify a sheet number that aligns to older ATF, but MB sells a spec PSF that is clear. I’ve never run atf as a result.

I use Pentosin CHF 11s in my wife’s 2002 S60. The manual also says to use DexIII, which in this case is incorrect.
I've posted this anecdote before.
A noisy p/s pump prompted the OO of my '99 Volvo V70 to sell. I suspect something like "Type-F" was part of his story.
A flush out with red ATF (I forget what I used) cleared the problem up for ~40K. Then the pump destroyed itself in 20 seconds while highway driving.
A body shop let me cannibalize the pump from a '98. It dripped pale green (Pentosin CHF-11S, I suspect). I have to assume the pale green was Volvo spec.
I loaded my system with said CHF-11S and all was well.

During my investigation, a local Volvo dealer showed me the Castrol ATF they used.
I wish I knew what year Volvo changed over.
It took years for the owners' manuals to be corrected/updated.

Were I servicing an older Volvo, I'd want to match the viscosity as Astro 14 said.

I thought the change started w/ 99 cars to CH-11 and they have the pump and reservoir separate. My 98 is one piece just like the older cars.

Which Volvo models are you referring to?

Back