Older Purolator L14612's ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok well when i got my First 2006 Subaru Impreza N/A in 2011, At that time I did a bunch of research and found that the Blue Honeywell OEM's had a big recall and that Purolator and Wix filters were the top pick at that time. Subaru Spec'd a 23psi BPV, the Purolators had a 14-18psi BPV and the Wix 8-11psi BPV. I opted to use the Purolator's as they were available at Walmart and less $$$.

Then Walmart switched to Fram and cleared out there Purolators for under $4. I bought a whole bunch and have been using them for the last couple years. The old car had a POS engine and i didn't care.

But 2 weeks ago I picked up a nice low mileage 2007 Forester N/A that has been kept very well and i would like to keep it that way for a long time.

Today I was wandering though a Walmart I dont usually go to and find a shelf full of old stock Purolators for $3.88. I couldnt remember the part number so i pulled up purolator's site to find they now specify a new L14615 supposedly with a 23psi BPV. At first i was confused but after doing some fresh research Purolators are now "tearolators" and have lost there reputation completely. it has me a little leary of my stash of filters

So here are the main questions:

1. I have about 15 of these older L14612's, Are older L14612's dated from 2012-2013 gonna be better construction/quality then newer "Tearolators"?

2. Should I find a new home for these and invest in some Napa Gold/Wix filters?

3. Would you worry about the change/update to the BPV from 14-18psi to subaru's spec of 23psi on the new filters?

Last edited:
I could be wrong but the new purolator filters are Red (Classic), Blue (PureOne), and Black (Synthetic line), they may have the tearing issue fixed in them.

the older ones? I wouldn't trust them, but that's me.

Originally Posted By: Chris_H
Ok well when i got my First 2006 Subaru Impreza N/A in 2011, At that time I did a bunch of research and found that the Blue Honeywell OEM's had a big recall and that Purolator and Wix filters were the top pick at that time. Subaru Spec'd a 23psi BPV, the Purolators had a 14-18psi BPV and the Wix 8-11psi BPV. I opted to use the Purolator's as they were available at Walmart and less $$$.

Then Walmart switched to Fram and cleared out there Purolators for under $4. I bought a whole bunch and have been using them for the last couple years. The old car had a POS engine and i didn't care.

But 2 weeks ago I picked up a nice low mileage 2007 Forester N/A that has been kept very well and i would like to keep it that way for a long time.

Today I was wandering though a Walmart I dont usually go to and find a shelf full of old stock Purolators for $3.88. I couldnt remember the part number so i pulled up purolator's site to find they now specify a new L14615 supposedly with a 23psi BPV. At first i was confused but after doing some fresh research Purolators are now "tearolators" and have lost there reputation completely. it has me a little leary of my stash of filters

So here are the main questions:

1. I have about 15 of these older L14612's, Are older L14612's dated from 2012-2013 gonna be better construction/quality then newer "Tearolators"?

2. Should I find a new home for these and invest in some Napa Gold/Wix filters?

3. Would you worry about the change/update to the BPV from 14-18psi to subaru's spec of 23psi on the new filters?

1. That is unknown right now, as the new product line was just introduced a few weeks ago. Time will tell. My guess is, Purolator is aware of the issue and may have quietly fixed the problem. Only way to find out is to put one into service and cut it open afterwards.

2 & 3. I'll answer these together. I would find a new home for these only because it does not meet the BPV of 23. If you feel comfortable using up the 14612, I would go ahead as the 14612 is not known to have the same tearing issues as the longer version of this filter, the 14610.

Wix has since come out with a Subaru-specific filter with the high-psi bypass. I think the part number is 57055.

It occured to me this morning I have a bucket i deposit my old filters in. Im gonna go find 2 random samples of these L14612's that have previously been used and see what shape they are in. I will post some pics later

I have seen the Wix/NapaGold 57712 my only problem with them is they have the smallest filter area of all the filters. Below is from a subaru site where someone has cut open a bunch of different filters to evaluate them

Napa Gold 1365
Superseded by Napa Gold 7712

Specs:

OD: 63mm
Length: 65mm
Thread: M20x1.5, Roll-formed
Spring type: Coil
Bypass Valve: 8-11 PSID, Upfront.
Anti Drain Back Valve: Yes, Silicone
Media type: Cellulose
Media Surface area: 303.4cm2
Beta Ratio: 2/20=6/20
Flow Rate: 9 - 11 gpm
Gasket style: Square ring
Oil inlet hole/s area: Eight 6.25mm holes. 245.44mm2.
End caps: Metal
Can side thickness: .38mm

Observations:

- During bypass the upfront location of the bypass valve prevents bypassed oil from passing over the media potentially washing debris loose from the media and then passing it into the engine unfiltered.

Napa_Gold_1365.jpg

Napa_Gold_1365_cut.jpg

Last edited:
Well I went out and picked 3 filters (2 L14612's and one PSL14612 i found at the bottom) all the filters are date coded "E" from 2013, they always got 5,000 to 6,000 kms OCI's on 5w-30 conventional. the blue synthetic may have seen rotella T6 but i dont know, the records went with the car
frown.gif

the two classics L14612's both looked good the pleats were even and absolutely NO sign of tearing, glue was in good shape, ADBV's were soft, BPV's looked good. When i cut the media off, the metal end caps came loose but not too easily, Overall they looked fantastic

the blue synthetic was ok the pleats weren't as even and some were twisted or touching one another. but absolutely NO sign of tearing, glue was in good shape, ADBV's were soft, BPV's looked good, When i cut the media off the end caps stayed glued in place and wouldnt budge. the one came off the support tube but it took alot of strength to do so, the other end wouldnt budge, Overall they looked very good

L14612 pleats
20151214_135930_zpszppixhjb.jpg

20151214_135942_1_zps3wwqrvgc.jpg

PSL14612 pleats
20151214_141035_zpswdibyh3i.jpg

20151214_142348_zpsqxeioyvs.jpg

20151214_142414_zps5pq1cwwa.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back