Older picture of Mt Rushmore from the parking lot

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Mount Rushmore, an American treasure. Below is a picture from the 1960s. Things have significantly changed today at Mt Rushmore- in the 1960s information suggests a visit was more low key/ simple.

288284907_10159812644327086_101753425849789005_n.jpg

Reminds me of every vacation our family ever took in the 60`a. North by Northwest was on TV yesterday,has the climax set there. Cary Grant..priceless.

Reactions: GON
GON, Thanks for the pic. I hope the transmission is holding up. Leave it to all of us BITOG members to comment on the 60's cars in the parking lot......LOL. I downloaded the pic and blue it up to 417% and looking at the partial vehicle in the second row.....could be a VW Microbus.....green / aqua color seems correct......LOL

Reactions: GON
Where are all the crew cab trucks and SUV/CUVs?!?!

Cool picture.

Cars and wagons back then were the size of modern SUV/cuv's .

On Rushmore you cant even see it without paying money now - not how its supposed to be.

Stopping every 200 miles to fill up dads 4 door Chrysler Newport 383 at a Stuckeys and the free ice water at Wall Drug.His arm hanging out the drivers window, cigar ashes blowing everywhere, mom puffing on Pall Malls.. 2 kids sprawled out across back seat. Seat belts optional.

Cars and wagons back then were the size of modern SUV/cuv's .

On Rushmore you cant even see it without paying money now - not how its supposed to be.
I don’t recall paying for anything but parking the last two times we were there.

E2CA7D1C-9367-4279-9B23-738AEB3F6A85.jpeg
DAE46EA5-94E3-4857-9EE2-610D03568316.jpeg

You could get a glimpse from the road, but I couldn't find a place to park or sit I didnt have to pay for.

Been there like 3 time wise as a kid once as an adult - as well as crazy horse - its amazing how little of that has changed since Ive been a kid.

Got to see the evolution of this site from '78 - '93. Moved to Gillette Wyoming in '78 and all our relatives came up from Florida one by one to visit. Naturally, this was a must-see for all of them. Was last there in 2007 when my sister and I went back up there to see friends. Standing on the veranda and looking up at the faces still takes my breath away.

Are you kidding? That looks like 1967-68. The Vietnam War was raging. Walter Cronkite would be on TV every night with the body count. 15-20 Americans a day was typical.

Drugs were absolutely ravaging the country.
I would go back in a minute. It was a simpler time.

Drugs are far worse today. in 2109 251 people died daily from drug overdoses. That is 91,799 deaths a year.
Currently more people are being shot and killed each year than in the Vietnam war.
In 15 months more people are shot and killed than the entire total of 58,220 deaths from Vietnam.

Because of all this the average age that an American lives has declined.

Hardly a week goes by that my Pastor buries a drug OD for someone in the county.

Back