Old Stihl 2 cycle oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found an unopened 6 pack of Stihl brand 2 oz bottles in my late father's garage. The pack still has the plastic wrap around it, but by my best guess it's at least 15 years old. My question is whether it's still good or not and if it isn't, what would be a good use for it?

It should be just fine.
Oil in a sealed container seems not to experience any degradation over time.
If you're leary of using it in a two stroke, then you could just dump a bottle per fill in a vehicle gas tank as a UCL, although that would be a waste of good two stroke oil.
You'd at least get some use out of it, though.

I know I'll get some feed back for saying this....that oil was in the ground for 1,000's of years before it was pulled and cleaned up. I would shake it up good and then use it without fear. Motor oil sitting that long could have the additives settle out of the oil. I don't know how much additives there are between 2 cycle and 4 cycle motor oil nor how long they last before going bad. I've done as you've asked and had no problems.

If you still have fear then wait for a real expert to come by and say why my thinking might be wrong..???

[edit]= oops didn't see fdcg27 post..

Last edited:
They claim two stroke oil will have a vinegar smell too it, if its too old. Don't know why. I had some old Polaris two stroke oil from the early 90's, as soon as I took the cap off it, it smelled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back