Old power washer, new life

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 10 year old Troy-Bilt power washer, bought new in 2005 was used a lot early on then it sat in the garage for a number of years unused. Last year I replaced the pump with an AR as the original FAIP pump no longer worked properly. While the engine ran it was not smooth and smelled of fuel. The engine is a B&S 4.5 HP. I replaced the plastic carb with a replacement plastic B&S carb and it runs so smooth now. The AR pump cost $110 and the carb was $23. This is less than buying a new one with even cheaper made dubious parts. Shop the internet for parts.

Whimsey

Last edited:
They hawk the motor brand on pressure washers but never the pump brand as few would know a good vs bad. I have recently seen Craftsman pressure washers using AR pumps.

But in reality your not going to get a good pressure washer if its a vertical shaft engine.

Top name pump manufacturers like Comet do not even make pumps for vertical shaft engines.

That being said, for many people a cheap pressure washer is all they need (electric or gas).

Originally Posted By: Donald
They hawk the motor brand on pressure washers but never the pump brand as few would know a good vs bad. I have recently seen Craftsman pressure washers using AR pumps.

But in reality your not going to get a good pressure washer if its a vertical shaft engine.

Top name pump manufacturers like Comet do not even make pumps for vertical shaft engines.

That being said, for many people a cheap pressure washer is all they need (electric or gas).

For what I use it for that's all I need, occasional use. I'll take care of it this time by using the B&S pump saver and emptying the carb before I store it.

Whimsey

Occasional use it will be fine. As you found out, the engines are low hour units and will last a really long time usually. Pumps take a dump, but just throw another $90 eBay special on it and you're good for another 5 to 10 years.

If this is a flat head Briggs, tighten up your head bolts as they tend to come loose on pressure washers. Might even be a good idea to wire wheel the carbon off the top off the piston/valves and replace the head gasket.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

If this is a flat head Briggs, tighten up your head bolts as they tend to come loose on pressure washers. Might even be a good idea to wire wheel the carbon off the top off the piston/valves and replace the head gasket.

Thanks for the tip. It is a flat head B&S
thumbsup2.gif

Whimsey

say I have a couple of different briggs engines from mowers etc, but no gas pressure washer, could I easily add a pump and get a washer? What characteristics of the engine would be important?
I have a Karcher 585 electric washer but it would be nice with a gas one too... especiallys if it's "homegrown"
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: lars11
say I have a couple of different briggs engines from mowers etc, but no gas pressure washer, could I easily add a pump and get a washer? What characteristics of the engine would be important?
I have a Karcher 585 electric washer but it would be nice with a gas one too... especiallys if it's "homegrown"
wink.gif

Shaft size could be different and pressure washers run at 3400-3600 rpm while mowers run at 3100 rpm.

ok. interesting. RPM will be easy enough to set a bit higher, and if I could find a pump that would have the same fittings as the Karcher I would be set.
So, now I have a new project after the chainsaw+italian winch thingy!!! Great!

It would be cheaper to buy a used pressure washer from the classifieds than to try and convert an old lawn mower engine. You need a cast iron flywheel, pressure washer pump, carburetor, pressure washer cart, hose and nozzles. By the time you buy all that you could have bought a nice used one or a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back