Old oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been cleaning out my deceased uncle's garage lately and have come across some old, unopened oil. The "newest" oil is dated 1989 and is Quaker State and Pennsoil in SAE30 and 10W30 & 40. They are in plastic qt. jugs. The older oil (not sure of the date) is Arco oil and is in cardboard cilinders with metal end caps. The Arco oil is mostly SAE 30. I even found some Atlantic oil made for outboard motors. Anyone have an idea if this is good still and what would I use it for? Thanks.

I would not personally use oil over 10 years old. Plus these oils will not meet most modern car specs. Look for the "highest letter" spec on the cans, I am sure they are OLD.

You would need a penetrating spout to use the "oil cans", I have not seen one of those for years.

Recycle them.

Today's oil is relatively cheap and performs good, no need to use that OLD stuff.

Personally, I would love to see VOAs of these old oils, both to see what they were made of and to see how they have held up over the years. Somebody has to pay for that... and I'm not volunteering, and you aren't obligated of course... but I sure wish!

Originally Posted By: brian12

Sell it on ebay?

+1
thumbsup2.gif
You would be surprised the stuff people buy!

Ok, should I dump it off and have it recycled due to it's age or what? Maybe I could use it for chainsaw bar oil, gotta be better than used oil I guess. Although I also found 4 bottles of bar lube as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ridgerunner
Ok, should I dump it off and have it recycled due to it's age or what? Maybe I could use it for chainsaw bar oil, gotta be better than used oil I guess. Although I also found 4 bottles of bar lube as well.

My father used it as bar oil, mixed it with a little ATF which he had laying around. He also adds it to the oiler he has and oils the hedge trimmer and garden tools that require being oiled. He only had a few quarts of the old stuff, but nothing goes to waste.

AD

Originally Posted By: StevieC

Sell it on ebay?

+1
thumbsup2.gif

True, could be a "collector's item" for somebody.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Originally Posted By: StevieC

Sell it on ebay?

+1
thumbsup2.gif

True, could be a "collector's item" for somebody.

I removed it from the package and intend to use it. On what I have no idea.

Put it on Ebay. Some guy who collects memorabilia will buy it. You'll have some extra cash in your pocket and this old oil out of your way.

Well, there is a collector market for oils in the cardboard "cans" and also for the metal pour spouts used with the old cans. People like to display it with their vintage cars at car shows, things like that. You could get some$$ for that if its worth the hassle of listing it on Ebay and shipping. As for the newer stuff in plastic bottles- yeah, saw bar oil is a good use. Its not the age itself that's a problem, its that oils have gotten SO much better in 20 years.

UPDATE! I have now finished cleaning out all (I think) the old oil that my aunt has. I have come up with about 4 cases of Pennsoil and Quaker State with a few other brands mixed in. They are all in the cardboard cans. I also found a quart of Sunoco oil in a GLASS quart container! It has a metal screw on spout. I asked my 88 yr old neighbor about it today and he said that he remembers those when he was a kid. He thinks they stopped making them in the 1950's. I have never tried to put a pic on here but I'll try today.

I've been cleaning out my deceased uncle's garage lately and have come across some old, unopened oil. The "newest" oil is dated 1989 and is Quaker State and Pennsoil in SAE30 and 10W30 & 40. They are in plastic qt. jugs. The older oil (not sure of the date) is Arco oil and is in cardboard cilinders with metal end caps. The Arco oil is mostly SAE 30. I even found some Atlantic oil made for outboard motors. Anyone have an idea if this is good still and what would I use it for? Thanks.

This is the fate that will befall all of you oil junkies.
grin2.gif

I'm pretty sure oil in cans was around as late as the end of the 70's and even early 80's. Seems like Quaker State was the first oil to be marketed in plastic bottles... could be wrong though. I was flipping through an old Nat'l Geographic my dad had... it was June 1983- Pennzoil add in there and it showed the Pennzoil 'can'... Ironic isn't it? Could you imagaine shell advertising anywhere near a magazine such as Nat'l Geo? Man how times have changed and I'm not even 30!

When I worked at my uncle's garage in 1987, oil there was still in these cardboard cans. A year later they started getting in the plastic qt jugs. Now the GLASS can, I don't really know when they stopped making them. My neighbor says about the mid 1950's. I'd post a pic of it but I'm too dumb to figure out how!!

Originally Posted By: genynnc
I'm pretty sure oil in cans was around as late as the end of the 70's and even early 80's. Seems like Quaker State was the first oil to be marketed in plastic bottles... could be wrong though. I was flipping through an old Nat'l Geographic my dad had... it was June 1983- Pennzoil add in there and it showed the Pennzoil 'can'... Ironic isn't it? Could you imagaine shell advertising anywhere near a magazine such as Nat'l Geo? Man how times have changed and I'm not even 30!

I know why you were looking at National Geographic.

Save the cardboard and glass cans - they are definite collectors items. Personally, I'd use any of the oil in plastic bottles - we're not quite at the stage where plastic bottles are collectible.

I have a 1983 edition of Popular Mechanics, and it has lots of oil adds, and all feature the oil in cans.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back