Old (German) Castrol Syntec vs. New Syntec 0w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new here and I'm curious to find out the differences between the old and new Syntec 0w30 oil. I had no luck finding the old (German) Syntec 0w30 in my area, but have read here that it is one of the best oils around. Is the new version comparable, or should I try something else? I'm especially interested in this oil as I have read it works well with the 2.5L turbo engine in my 2005 Forester XT. Thanks.
-Steve

First off,
welcome.gif

Now, what do you mean by new Syntec 0w-30? The newest stuff should be German too. If it's not made in Germany, then it's made in the US and that stuff is old.
Click here here for some FAQs.

As a Subaru owner (albeit different engines), I believe our cars love this stuff. I'll find out for sure once I get a UOA (Used Oil Analysis). Other people have had good experiences.

quote:

Originally posted by sjt78:
I'm new here and I'm curious to find out the differences between the old and new Syntec 0w30 oil. I had no luck finding the old (German) Syntec 0w30 in my area, but have read here that it is one of the best oils around. Is the new version comparable, or should I try something else? I'm especially interested in this oil as I have read it works well with the 2.5L turbo engine in my 2005 Forester XT. Thanks.
-Steve

Whoops...Blame the lack of no "old" GC on me as I have purchased it all here in the Buffalo,NY area...Sorry.
grin.gif

sjt78,

While The Green (older version of GC) is the stuff of legend, do not hesitate to try The Gold. (At comparable price, I don't believe there is anything better "out there.") While I am not crazy about the reduced phosphorus and increased magnesium in the Gold Formulation (what do I know?): (1) welcome to the future of motor oil and (2) I do believe in the GC formulations. The Elves will never do us wrong. So use the new stuff without concern. I won't lose any sleep over it...once ALL my Green is gone.
wink.gif

Have there been enough UOA's done with Gold GC to make it safe to say that it's just as good as Green?
Better yet, has anyone done back to back UOA's with Green and Gold in the same engine to see how they compare?
I'll be doing an oil change from Green to Gold soon, so maybe I'll do it. Only problem is, the engine is probably still breaking in, which will probably skew the numbers.

hd,

Your requests are certainly reasonable and I hope someone can give provide you the info you are asking for. I have to admit though, that I cannot REALLY understand why people are questioning a newer version of an already demonstrated great oil that has even higher specs (MB 229.5). I am glad our members don't know everytime Mobil or Redline or etc quietly make a formulation change/technical improvement to their oils or we would have a lot of members with oil angst. Not a put down to anyone, just my observation.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by pscholte:
(...snip...) ...once ALL my Green is gone.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which will be a very, very long time for me.

ek,

A long, long time, huh; well, I guess you got me beat; I only expect my Green to last about a millenium.
wink.gif

I looked in several places for Castrol Syntec 0w-30 and was told they don't have it, ever. But they have other Castrol products, including several weights of Syntec. Is the 0w-30 only for important people?

quote:

Originally posted by Louie's gone fishing:
Is the 0W-30 only for important people?

Yes!
grin.gif

Patience, grasshopper. When you least expect it, you'll drive by an AZ, drop in and be rewarded for your dedication and perseverance.
fruit.gif

In the meantime, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off...
wink.gif

I think that the elves would suggest that all people are important. In any case, you need only look at AutoZone. In the US, only AutoZone carries GC.

Louie, what cities have you checked?
If you're from California, it shouldn't be too hard to find. (Unless you're out in the boonies...)

quote:

Originally posted by GMorg:
I think that the elves would suggest that all people are important...

GMorg, you hhave a fine understanding of the attitude of the little guys...they commend your sagacity.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

quote:

Originally posted by GMorg:
I think that the elves would suggest that all people are important...

GMorg, you have a fine understanding of the attitude of the little guys...they commend your sagacity.

quote:

Louie, what cities have you checked?
If you're from California, it shouldn't be too hard to find. (Unless you're out in the boonies...)

I was checking for availablity of Mobil 1 5W-20 oil and Mercon V ATF in a local AutoZone recently.

Suddenly I looked up at their Castrol shelves and noticed some Syntec 0W-30. Picked up one of the available thirty quarts and noticed "Made in Germany" on rear label.

Later as I exited with several quarts of Mobil 1 oil and ATF, I wondered if I should have bought a quart of GC. If I had, what should I have done with it?
wink.gif

You should have bought enough for an oil change. Why would you buy just one quart? To put it on the shelf as a trophy?

Someone guessed it, I'm out in the boonies. I did call a couple of AZ's in North County San Diego and they say they have never seen 0w-30. On one phone call the AZ person advised me that '30 weight heavy duty' was the replacement for the older 0w-30. He said that they don't carry those older oils like 0w-30 and 0w-20. He said that '30 weight heavy duty' replaced them all. He told me that today's cars need the better protection of heavy duty oils. I said, thank you and will continue my search. I think I know what Diognes felt like.

"He said that they don't carry those older oils like 0w-30 and 0w-20. He said that '30 weight heavy duty' replaced them all. He told me that today's cars need the better protection of heavy duty oils."
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back