Old 2-cycle oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
A neighbor gave me several 16 oz cans of Evinrude oil for 2-cycle engines. It is for a 50:1 mix. The cans are old enough to have no UPC bar code and open with pull tabs. My question: does unopened oil deteriorate in the container and is there any reason not to use this oil in my air cooled 2-cycle engines (chain saws, weed trimmer, tiller)? Thanks

Are they metal cans? Some of the solvent in the oil may evaporate through a plastic bottle after several years.

If the engine is old, I would use it. If it is brand new, I would buy new oil.

I have a friend who had a 9HP 2 stroke boat engine from the 50's and he ran old 2C oil from the 70's. The engine eventually seized about 2 years ago. Was it because it was 60+ years old, or was it the old oil he used? My guess is it was probably because it was 60+ years old.

Originally Posted By: thiggy
The cans are old enough to have no UPC bar code and open with pull tabs.

If it's seriously old, I would pass. Buying new oil will cost less than buying new OPE.

First things first: Oil intended for outboards in air cooled equipment is a bad idea. Different duty cycle and different additive packs. Outboard oils are typically "ashless" and have trouble at high temp/high RPM, like your saw.

Got a squeaky shed hinge somewhere? Use it for that.

The newer 2 stroke air cooled oils (JASO FD/ISO-EGD) are amazing and not too expensive. Home Cheapo has ECHO brand oil in small squeeze bottles. Great oil, fair price.

I'm less worried about if it "went bad" from the storage or was bad to begin with.

I'd use it, then I've been known to use HD 30W in the mix for my weedeater and chain saw...

I'd say the oil is probably suitable for use. Chances are that it may have settled a bit. If so shake it up, mix it with some gas and use it. Being as old as it is, it's probably not TCW-3 and likely suitable for air cooled engines.

If you have any concerns regarding the condition of the oil, mix the old oil 50/50 with new oil. That way, you'll use up the old stuff and know that the new oil will be providing an additional degree of protection.

Thanks for your replies. It looks like I'll give the oil to my son to use in his 40 year-old outboard.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: thiggy
Thanks for your replies. It looks like I'll give the oil to my son to use in his 40 year-old outboard.

Good idea, I would still give it the old "Polaroid Picture" shake before I used it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back