Okay, i was wrong..

Status
Not open for further replies.
So. im not afraid to admit when I was wrong and I was wrong in my thought process and thinking about motor oil and weight. In the Hyundai service manual AND general thinking on BITOG, the manual states basically 5W20 for "fuel economy" Ooops. that does NOT mean best engine protection!. It then states use 5W30 or 10W30 for satisfactory lubrication in hot weather...So what i take away from these statements is:

5W20 for the best fuel economy.. While maybe sacrificing engine protection over the long run
5W30 for better engine protection and under higher heat / load
and 10W30 for "best" engine protection above 0F, while maybe sacrificing MPG.

So to say the least, just because 5W20 is printed on my oil cap, im feeling that's strictly for the EPA, and not the best oil for my engine..

Im not trying to turn this into a thin vs thick debate (again) but just admitting fault, and my misunderstanding. Maybe you guys are on to something!. This engine does see red line, and i will now be changing it early to a 5W30 synthetic at the minimum for the "better" engine protection. - Just because 5W20 works now in this engine, again does not mean its the best choice for longevity...🤔

Engine is question is a 2.0L in a 09 Elantra

PS- im not saying everyone should run 5W30 or above, but depending on application, you might get better protection.
PS2- also im not saying 5w20 is a bad oil choice, it all comes down to APPLICATION, and USE.

YMMV.
IMG_1752.jpeg

Im not trying to turn this into a thin vs thick debate (again) but just admitting fault, and my misunderstanding. Maybe you guys are on to something!. This engine does see red line, and i will now be changing it early to a 5W30 synthetic at the minimum for the "better" engine protection. - Just because 5W20 works now in this engine, again does not mean its the best choice for longevity...🤔
That's good because the last time you started such a thread it got locked. Remember?

Wasn't one enough?

That's good because the last time you started such a thread it got locked. Remember?

Wasn't one enough?
Really guys!?

I was posting saying i had a complete misunderstanding of what oil to use in this 2.0L. And i was wrong thinking 5W20 was the "best" choice. I never said 5W20 is a bad oil or 5W30 is superior but for my application 5W20 might not be the best.

Again this is in a 2.0L elantra not a Ferrari.

So slightly thicker is better. FOR THIS Application.
I will still continue to use M1 5W20 in the sonata, because its not red lined or driven hard.

I love all oil, and weights! do not get me wrong, but with a search on BITOG, for cars that are driving hard, and if the environment allows, a slightly thicker oil does protect better... Its in black and white.

not sure there's a terrible difference between 5w-20 and 5w-30 ilsac oils in the protection department.
and you are probably right. but what about under high stress / load / heat applications? I know i could use anything from a 0W20-10W40, with probably zero consequences.

and you are probably right. but what about under high stress / load / heat applications? I know i could use anything from a 0W20-10W40, with probably zero consequences.

It all depends on the HTHS viscosity, which could be the same for both oils you consider, especially after a bit of use

It all depends on the HTHS viscosity, which could be the same for both oils you consider, especially after a bit of use
Thank you, this is the type of conversation I would like to have. Not "here we go again" with zero input.
The HTHS will sheer, i know that, but a 5W30 would stay slightly longer in "grade", no?

To what kind of high stress / load / heat would you subject an ‘09 Elantra?

This is a daily driver / grocery getter. Not tracked, not driven at sustained high speeds (I hope…) and not towing. I’m sure it’s fine on whatever viscosity you choose.

I think you’ve already answered your own question…

I run 5W20 M1 synthetic in my 09, and change out the 4.23 qts every 4500-5K miles, engine seems very happy on it. it does not burn a drop at 114K, but Its not as smooth as a 4 cyl honda,(even when new) from what i gather, the engine is very durable, and capable of 300+K with decent maintenance.

The 11-16s elantras have the "issues"

To what kind of high stress / load / heat would you subject an ‘09 Elantra?

This is a daily driver / grocery getter. Not tracked, not driven at sustained high speeds (I hope…) and not towing. I’m sure it’s fine on whatever viscosity you choose.
You are also right, it never goes above 74 or so for thruway merging and its only red lined because it has 138HP when new LOL. No towing, no racing, no 100+MPH pulls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back