Ok to use oil that had been in leaking bottles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I had stored it too long I guess.

My old mid-90s Nissan always liked Mobil Clean High Mileage. This was a conventional high mileage oil that was replaced by Mobil Super High Mileage (semi synthetic).

This oil was purchased approximately 3 to 3.5 years ago.

However, about 12 months ago, I found one of the Mobil Clean High Mileage bottles was leaking! I was able to save about 4/5 of the bottle and transfer it to a clean and relatively new Castrol bottle.

Then, about two months ago, I had another TWO Mobil Clean High Mileage bottles leaking, so I transferred them to a very clean and just recently emptied Valvoline gallon bottle.

Is there any issue with using this oil that had these punctures in the original bottles and were leaking? Also any issue with the quart that I saved for over a year in the replacement Castrol bottle (having been exposed to air)?

Thanks! I was perhaps going to use this oil tomorrow since it's the last of my Mobil Clean High Mileage stash (I have a full oil change when I add in the two bottles that have not leaked).

Last edited:
My opinion would be this:

Mix the leakie bottles with newer oil to fill that gallon jug to full. I have seen fluids in plastic bottles do the same thing. A person with more knowledge than I should know if additives settle, etc...I would say they do;so this is my reasoning for mixing with newer oils to refresh what was left of the leakie bottle/s.

If it was just a small puncture, I say run it.

Heck, even if it were a bigger puncture. If anything collected in the oil, it would be filtered out quickly. The oil system on a car isn't air-tight either.

Thanks guys. Well, I went ahead and used it. The sealed bottles and the open bottles smelled identical, not that that is a good test. ha-ha.

The color was a beautiful amber too. Looked great! It's sad that it is the last time I ever use that oil. Loved that oil.

Car is quieter than the Maxlife I replaced.

The Maxlife looked a tad red. Is that normal for Maxlife? I looked in my oil fill cap and the upper part of the engine that I could see through the hole, all had a slight red tinge? Must be how Maxlife is? Well it looked pretty and clean enough just a slight red look to it.

Thanks again for encouraging me to use my favorite oil I had rescued! Glad I did!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back