OK to run any oil filter over 5k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you only run a car 1000 miles a year(collector car) would you still change out the oil filter every oil change? Change filter every other oil change?

I'd run any high quality filter over 5,000 miles without worry.

By high quality, I'm referring to Wix, Mobil 1, K&N, Amsoil... or to keep it simple, anything with an orange silicone ADBV.

For anything with a black nitrile valve, I'd limit it to 6,000 miles at the most.

Originally Posted By: fito
If you only run a car 1000 miles a year(collector car) would you still change out the oil filter every oil change? Change filter every other oil change?

I have two collector cars that I drive less than 500 miles a year. They both sit in a garage that sees a low temperature of 50, and a high temperature of 80.

I change the oil AND filter in both, once a year.

For oil, I use Wal-Mart SuperTech HM. For a filter, I use the NAPA ProSelect.

So long as the engine is already clean, I'd have no problem running a good* filter for 8~10K. (If the engine is shedding enough sludge or metal bits to clog the filter sooner, it's got problems that need to be addressed.)

Below 10k/year then it's a filter every oil change and at least 6month OCI's. Above 10k (the further the better - up to about 15k) then it's every other oil change.

If you're doing a single OCI of 8k-10k, then that filter is fine. I would hope that this single OCI doesn't cross over the calender year. There's a certain assumed time compression for that to be valid for a daily driver.

i found 10k (km's) max is what I will go, i ran my last oil change interval to 13k (kms) and I found after 10k my oil light would stay on longer after a cold start (within 1 second but definately longer). This was with a good quality honda s2000 toyo roki oil filter, changed oil and used a wix filter and as soon as the car cranks no light.

I'm running my oil filters for 20K KM (12K miles) but they are Amsoil EAO's and I think they are solidly constructed and up to the task.

I'm guessing that if anyone is running a filter that wont last over 5K, they need to buy different filters.

I've mentioned this before, but as long as you don't operate my truck in "extreme conditions" it says to run 6000 miles oci's and change the filter every other oil change. If gm trusted their delcos for 12k back in '72, I think any car would be good with it now. Though I like a filter every change because it *might* be torn and they're cheap anyway. My first and only Fram was coming off of it's base after 1.5k...

I personally wouldn't run any filter over 5000 miles. Especially the high efficient ones like the mobil, pure one etc.

I do 20K miles (mostly highway miles) on the Purolator L-24458, but I do 7k, 7K and 6K mile oil changes.

I can post some pictures in about 2 months if you want.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
I personally wouldn't run any filter over 5000 miles. Especially the high efficient ones like the mobil, pure one etc.

Why not? I have to assume that you engage in ..or believe you engage in, a service that makes 5k OCI's necessary. You may also be on a time weighted OCI ..even if you don't know it. If you happen to be doing around 10k+/- a year ..you're really doing a 6 month OCI. That sounds more reasonable than just saying that you wouldn't leave a filter on more than 5k.

As cheap as filters are why would you use one for more than 5,000 miles anyway? I personally haven't seen any filter tests that would lead me to believe that a filter could still be effective behond 5,000 miles. All I've seen here are visual opinions of different filters cut open which don't prove anything.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
As cheap as filters are why would you use one for more than 5,000 miles anyway? I personally haven't seen any filter tests that would lead me to believe that a filter could still be effective behond 5,000 miles. All I've seen here are visual opinions of different filters cut open which don't prove anything.

Well if you go that route you should know that the dirtier a filter gets the better it filters.

One problem with that is flow rate and unless you measure pressure & flowrate before & after the filter. You are still just guessing.

BTW If small cartridge filter in a VW Diesel can last 10k miles. I see absolutely no reason why it can't in a gasoline engine. Considering that motor has abrasive and clogging soot I would not worry about it one bit in a gasoline engine.

Last edited:
Here is what my filter looks like after 20K KM (12K miles)

It's 3 times the cost but stands up extremely well and offers superior filtration compared to other filters.

There is less waste/mess changing it less often at this interval and I can't see why everyone wouldn't do it.

filter2.jpg

Here is what my filter looks like after 20K KM (12K miles)

It's 3 times the cost but stands up extremely well and offers superior filtration compared to other filters with much longer change intervals.

There is less waste/mess changing it less often at this interval and I can't see why everyone wouldn't do it.

filter2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back