Oily weight question

Hello, just a basic question. 2015 Malibu LS 2.5L engine with 29,125 miles. My oil cap says to use Dexos 5w20 oil. I have only ever had the dealership do the oil changes ever since I bought it new. Had one done today and was looking over the work order. It says they used 5 quarts of Dexos 5w30. I never took notice before what they used, so they may have used that since the first oil change. My question is, does this have any negative effect? This is a Chevy dealership, so you’d think they’d know the proper oil to use in their cars.

Although it might actually be a "better" option compared to 5w20, I'd be pissed if the dealership used something other than what's required by the manual. At least without my consent for that deviation.
That's why I'm no longer hand my car for an oil change, either I crawl under it do it myself (best option) or buy my oil and filter and hand it to an indy shop and have them use it under my observation. Hell I even handed my oil to the dealership and asked them to use it.

Although it might actually be a "better" option compared to 5w20, I'd be pissed if the dealership used something other than what's required by the manual. At least without my consent for that deviation.
That's why I'm no longer hand my car for an oil change, either I crawl under it do it myself (best option) or buy my oil and filter and hand it to an indy shop and have them use it under my observation. Hell I even handed my oil to the dealership and asked them to use it.
There are very few manufacturers that have grade requirements in their manuals, the vast majority are recommendations.

The service advisor likely wrote it up wrong, and the technician probably used the correct grade of oil from the bulk dispenser because the tech should know what they are doing regardless of what was written on the RO. What does your lube sticker say?

The service advisor likely wrote it up wrong, and the technician probably used the correct grade of oil from the bulk dispenser because the tech should know what they are doing regardless of what was written on the RO. What does your lube sticker say?

Sticker just lists date and mileage and info about tires, battery and brakes that they perform at the same time as the oil change.

I have a Silverado that I routinely do the oil changes on myself, and I have never used anything other than Castrol 5w30 since the day I bought it and it now has around 172,000 miles and has never had an engine issue, so I’m not real concerned about it being used in this vehicle as well. When I bought this car new in 2015, free lifetime state inspection and three free oil changes caused me to just have them service it. I’m putting just under 6,000 miles a year on it, so going by the OLM I’m ready for an oil change (usually reading between 10-14% of life left) each year right around the time it’s due for state inspection. I just have them do them both at the same time for convenience.

Last edited:
The service advisor likely wrote it up wrong, and the technician probably used the correct grade of oil....

There's a good chance that's what happened. When I worked at an 'express lube' (many, many years ago), unless the customer requested otherwise, we would put in what was on the cap. Most of the time we'd change the paperwork (and sticker), but sometimes we forgot.

Back