Oils that contain moly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moly DTC forms a multi-layer film structure.

From SEM results, the bottom layer is generally FeO3, the next layer is moly trioxide MO3, and the top layer is usually MoS2, or moly disulfide. It's the highly reactive sulfur that allows moly to bond to the metal.

None of the literature on Moly DTC or Moly DTP has reported any problems with deposit buildup, etching of metal, or the like.

Also in the literature, you will find that with the combined additves calcium sulfinate (dispersant/detergents), ZDDP, and moly, they have a synergistic effect that reduces friction and wear.

This is a completely different situation but I think its worthwhile to point out that moly sulfide coated bullets have been shown to leave a moly coating in bbls which if not cleaned will develop a corrosion between it and the steel surface of the bbl.

Dickwells,

Reagarding bullets,
offtopic.gif

That is true because of the excess sulfur left behind, which forms a weak sulfuric acid, and because there are no mediating additives to reduce the acidity. I use Birchwood Casey's or Remington synthetic gun oil after cleaning to kill any acids in the barrel.

Howver, this is not true of the moly in 132, or MoTDC, which is very stable. There is only enough sulfur to create a bond between the base metal and the moly.

The original post:

Now Kendalls 5/20-5/30 and 10/30 oil have moly in the formulation of group II base oils FWIW

They have really made some changes recently,no more green dye,another problem is the old Kendall Race no longer has Zinc with more than 1000 ppm in the 30 and 40 -50 wt oils,,only the Nitro 70 has over 2k ppm
An SL Race oil ? Gotta be kidding but there are some 20/50 SL's out there
gr_stretch.gif

Phillips Trop Artic Turbo 10/30
" " 10/40 PAO blend
HDII 15/40 Phillips
Phillips PAO blend 15/40 race
Castrol GTX
Pennzoil SL's
Citgo PAO SL PAO blends

All have Mo

Looks like the waive of the future ?

[ December 10, 2002, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

Re: Moly settling

FWIW I have had 4 quarts of Redline 10W30 in the garage for at least four months. The settling issue raised the question so I popped the caps to look...with light above and below the container I saw no settling, none. They had not been moved until I gingerly picked them up to unscrew the caps and look. My eyeballs tell me, at least for this brand, not to be concerned about it settling out of solution.

RE RE

What is the black stuff in the bottom of a Pennzoil or Castrol containers I have seen in recent past. Moly in solution ? Not Moly in suspension ?

I do not see this in Schaeffers,Mobil Supersyn or Phillips oils that use Mo in the formulation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back