Oils for turbo engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I am quite new to this place and will like to find out more on the oil used for turbocharge engines. How is it different fromthe oils used for N.A engines?

What will be a good reccomended oil for a high-rev turbocharged engine with say 100,000km on it?
The climate here is quite hot too 34-38deg.

Thanks

Depends on the engine. Yeah, an ACEA A3 rated oil is a good starting point, but you can get more lax depending on the engine and the oil change interval.

I am running the oil in my G13B Suzuki Swift GTi 1.3L Turbo Engine. i am currently running on Castrol GTX proline. It is a mineral oil and the website states viscosity of 15w40. they do not have the MSDS for the oil. I had also used the Castrol RS 10w60 previously. Some guys reccomend the Redline 10w40 which has a higher HTHS but a lower viscosity oil which is a better choice.

What are your views?

What is an ACEA A3 rated oil?

this is interesting. i have used the cheapest 5w30 on my STi... it is a 2.5L turbo. should i be more concerned? i do religious 3k OCI's though.

2. that ebaker. ACEA A3 is the 'turbo' spec.
Lui & gnef I would not follow your route (to oil cooking... )
smile.gif

So, why take any chance. ACEA A3 rated synthetic oil is a cheap insurance for trouble free turbo operation..

"A3" is a HTHS (high temperature, high shear viscosity) rating of 3.5 cP or better.

As an example, among PCMO M1 grades, only the 0W-40 and 15W-15 carry an A3 rating. All the rest are A1/A5.

An A3 rating is, generally speaking, the mark of an oil that holds up a little better in turbocharged and other higher stress environments. But every engine and oil is different, so there are exceptions. For example, a good many Volvo R owners run basic M1 10W-30 without problem. OTOH, it seems A3 is the absolute minimum quality to put in any current VW engine (and some diesels need even better).

My favorite oil in a turbo is Redline.

You don't want to get too thick in a turbo application, as spool up can be slowed.

another option to Redline and available where you are,

Motul 8100 E-tech 0W-40, ACEA A3,A4,B4, VW 503.01, MB 229.3, Porsche, 13.3 cSt @ 100*C.

basically race oils,
Motul 300V 5W-40, HTHS 4.51, 13.8 cSt @ 100*C
Motul 300V 10W-40, HTHS 4.19, 14.0 cSt @ 100*C
Motul 300V 15W-50, HTHS 5.33, 17.8 cSt @ 100*C

hey Trex101, i am using the Castrol GTX mineral now.. but non on any turbos at the moment.My friend has 1 on it though. was thinking if i were to run a turbo, is redline 10w40 the best i can get? What about Armsoil oil? Are they good? reccomended for turbo use?

Thanks..

I would say go with Redline 10w40 first, if no oil consumption than drop down to 10w30. Anyway Redline is cheaper than Motul over here.

Redline 5w20 HTHS 3.3
Redline 5w30 HTHS 3.8
Redline 10w30 HTHS 3.8
Redline 5w40 HTHS 4.7
Redline 10w40 HTHS 4.8
Redline 15w50 HTHS 5.8

M1 5w-30 in both my 94 855T and in the 97 854R with 3K OCIs. The 94 is a daily driver with 175K miles and the R is a summer car. I had run 10w-30 for a while but switched back to and stayed with the 5w-30.

quote:

Anyway Redline is cheaper than Motul over here.

funny, it's the otherway around here. 8100 is the same price as M1, and 300V is quite a bit cheaper than any RL engine oil, and the Delvac 1 I buy is cheaper than all of them, by a margin of over 2.5:1 to RL.

Thanks everyone...learn alot from you guys.

Trex101, do you know the HTHS for castrol GTX mineral? So you reccomend redline 10w40. what about 5w40? can i use it? Where can we get Redline in Singapore?

Thanks.

Any good synthetic will treat you well.

I have run Amsoil for the last 20 years in my turbo cars, no issues. But I am sure Mobile 1 or Redline would be good choices too.

quote:

Originally posted by tdi-rick:

quote:

Anyway Redline is cheaper than Motul over here.

funny, it's the otherway around here. 8100 is the same price as M1, and 300V is quite a bit cheaper than any RL engine oil, and the Delvac 1 I buy is cheaper than all of them, by a margin of over 2.5:1 to RL.

My local Mobil distro was offering me Delvac 1 for AU$30 per 5L bottle. Thats the same price as 1L of Redline.... Amazing!

that's an amazing price Leo. My last 20 litres of D1 cost me Au$198 two months ago. Still cheaper than M1, Shell Helix Ultra, Castrol Edge, etc. at the department stores.

Any chance of PM'ing me the distributor details ? I've a mate in Adelaide that would probably be interested. He emailed just last week regarding transfer case and dif oils for his Landy.

cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back