Oils and Break-in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, i'm new to this topic so please be fair to me =). This may be seem like a very old,old discussion but i'm a beginner. I just bought a new 06 truck. I'm planning to use 5w30 dino oils for my break-in period and then switch to synthetic after 3,000 miles.
I would like to know how would some of you rate the dino oils? (like havoline, castrol, valvoline, pennzoil etc.) Many of you seem to me rate the havoline higher than the rest. Is there a scientific study or testing that has been done on dino oils?

Another question is regarding the GF-3 or GF-4, what does this mean on a bottle? Does GF-4 have more additives than GF-3?

Is "starburst" the exact same word as the API certification mark?

Thanks for all the replies. Hopefully this will be a stepping stone into the new car world for me.

High =)

The science behind the oils' reputations on this site is the library of oil analysis results found under the "used oil analysis" and "virgin oil analysis" categories. The former shows empirically what works well, and the latter shows what the oils actually have in them.

There are many extraordinarily good results posted there where Havoline was used, and the Havoline is considered to have an excellent additive pack in addition to a good dino base oil. It is a good overall package, and tough to beat. Chevron Supreme is very similar, some think it is identical for practical purposes, and it can currently be had for $0.49/qt with coupon at Checker/Kragen/Schucks etc.

Lots of synthetics also have followings here, and also are first-rate products that prove themselves in UOAs. They are every bit as good as the best dinos at protecting an engine, but not everybody agrees on whether they are actually better, when it comes to the bottom line: actual wear.

The starburst is different from the API certification, and there are also numerous other certifications which various oils may or may not meet. API is simply the most universally used.

HTH,

- Glenn

Starburst refers to the API Energy Conserving emblem. The API donut indicates the service grade and that the oil is licensed.

GF-4 is the certification issued by ILSAC, the auto maufacturer's organization. GF-2 was the standard from 1997 thru 2000, GF-3 from 2001 thru 2004, GF-4 launched July 2004.

Actually GF-4 oils tend to have increased levels of some additives to provide better high temp performance and to offset the reduction in phosphorous to the 800 ppm level. However, the certification is more geared to passing a set of performance tests rather than specific levels of additives (with the exception of ZDDP) or base oil VI index.

Chevron/Havoline, Castrol, Pennzoil are all premium brands and will provide excellent results in a variety of engines.

Good Luck with the new ride!
smile.gif

Hi all thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it very much. Although today, i was at my local autozone to stock up on some Havoline 5W30 "formula 3" motor oils. When i was at the checkout, the clerk told me not to get this type of oil? i was dumbfounded. He told me that Havoline is a remanufactured old,used oil. And it would sludge up my engine pretty quick. He told me to get either Valvoline or Castrol GTX. I'm curious, is this the same Havoline oil that many of the people in this forum believe is highly rated as the top dino oil? There was the starburst and the donut. It stated that it was API SM and GF-4. I been looking everywhere for the chevron supreme but i cant find it anywhere. Ive been searching in Walmart,autozone, and pepboys. I will try Oreillys next.

Actually i guess my main question is how long of OCI can Havoline (formula 3?) go before dumping it out? I believe it does contain a high ash content. I tend not to trust the clerk and go with the rest of you guys.

Run the Halovine for 5k at a time and your truck will last a very long time.

The clerk at Autozone was so clueless I'm surprised he was able to work the cash register.
twak.gif

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

As a young lad, foolish in the ways of the world, I worked one summer in a department store camera department. There was an old Kodak "Retina" (German) 35mm rangefinder camera sitting forlornly in the display case and I sold it to someone. Fast-forward to payday when my supervisor told me there was a "spiff" on that neglected camera (panic!), and that my check would reflect an extra $30.00 (whew!). (apparently no one had managed to unload that classic in five years - wish now I'd bought it for myself) Anyway, that was my introduction to the wonderful world of incentive marketing. It's possible that the Autozone moron was being "pushed" to promote Valvoline and Castrol because of overstock, oil company incentives, or some such. Before you buy the Havoline "Formula 3" CHECK the back of the bottle CAREFULLY. "Formula 3" is a term that hasn't been used by Havoline for a LONG time. However, if it's classed as API "SM", ILSAC "GF-4" and carries the "starburst" seal on the front label, then it is current. (unlikely, but maybe Chevron, Havoline brand motor oil's current parent company, is resurrecting the "Formula 3" moniker...) If the bottle's back label includes API classifications of "SH", "SJ", "SL" in addition to "SM", that's fine. But you definitely want to see at least "SL" or preferably, the latest API classification rating, "SM" there.

Wow thanks for the replies guys. Ray H i think you nailed it in the head when you were talking about the overstock of Valvoline and Castrol. When i went to check on the Havoline, nearly all the bottles were gone! There were a tremendous amount of Valvoline and Castrol in store's oil section. Again, thanks for the replies guys, now i can buy the Havoline bottle with confidence.

High =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back