Oil type and interval for Ford PowerBoost Hybrid

I have the new F-150 PowerBoost hybrid, which is essentially a 3.5 EcoBoost + hybrid motors. The main difference is that you get almost constant start/stops around town as it goes between electric (engine off) and hybrid. Consequently, the plug change recommendation is 50-60k miles, versus 100k for the standard EcoBoost. Surprisingly, it only takes 6 quarts of oil, versus all of my other cars, which take 8-10 quarts. I won't really do much if any towing.

I changed the oil and filter at 500-1000 mi, as I as always do with a new vehicle, using Mobil 1 Extended and the OEM filter. That oil meets all applicable Ford specs. Many on the Ford forums change their oil at 5k miles. Is that really necessary, given the quality of the Mobil 1 Extended oil? What interval do you recommend?

It just says to change it according to the dashboard oil change indicator, which most people think is too long.

I would honestly just run regular M1 if you're going to change it at the 5k mark. Or Castrol Magnatec.

Consequently, the plug change recommendation is 50-60k miles, versus 100k for the standard EcoBoost.
I have a Toyota RAV4 Hybrid. The recommended spark plug replacement is 120k miles. I really don't know why it would be shortened. Being a stop-start and hybrid should lengthen the life, not shorten then,

The problem with the 3.5 ecoboost is fuel dilution and soot. Thats why people change oil often.

make sure you get the truck nice and hot once in a while. The Ecoboost seem to like being worked as all the ones with high miles and no timing chain issues seem to be the ones that we worked hard and oil changed frequently.

The problem with the 3.5 ecoboost is fuel dilution and soot. Thats why people change oil often.

make sure you get the truck nice and hot once in a while. The Ecoboost seem to like being worked as all the ones with high miles and no timing chain issues seem to be the ones that we worked hard and oil changed frequently.

This is correct, fuel dilution in the Ecoboost is the reason for the short interval. If the hybrid is doing a ton of start stop it's probably even more important to stick to a 5k interval. As others have mentioned, Castrol Magnatec at 5k oci is pretty much the go to for this engine.

This is correct, fuel dilution in the Ecoboost is the reason for the short interval. If the hybrid is doing a ton of start stop it's probably even more important to stick to a 5k interval. As others have mentioned, Castrol Magnatec at 5k oci is pretty much the go to for this engine.
Im giving PP Euro L a try in mine this next change but it has Magnatec in it right now.

i tow in Utah and hit 240F+ coolant temps basically every time i tow between May and October so I wanted to try a little stouter oil.

And reduced oil capacity as well.

I'd look for an info screen in the cluster or in the Fordpass app to see if it gives you 'engine miles' or hours and base your changes around that. I know I'm not relying on the OLM in my 2020 Ranger, but rather just doing 5k changes regardless of what it says. Your problem is 5000 miles will include some % of engine-off mileage. If there isn't a way to get that data I would figure out a rough estimate of engine-off vs engine-on and base the change on that. If memory serves, since 2017 the V6 turbo motors have both port and direct injection, so you don't have a valve coking issue to deal with, just potential fuel dilution and soot. IMO its still a good idea to shorten up the changes, maybe not to 5000 miles, but shorter than Ford is going to recommend by the OLM.

If oil is changed so soon, is a synthetic really an advantage? Seems like a waste.... plenty of these do just fine on motor craft oem syn blend. BUT, if it were me and I was using motorcraft, 5k interval would be my number based on potential dilution. I will say that as mine has been collecting miles, I’m seeing less evidence of dilution (Smell, raised level, thinner oil on drain). I’m running synthetic 10-30 per olm and it’s been consistent in sound and feel for the whole interval. Mine is driven very easy M-F and then works its butt off when it tows.

Consequently, the plug change recommendation is 50-60k miles, versus 100k for the standard EcoBoost. Surprisingly, it only takes 6 quarts of oil, versus all of my other cars, which take 8-10 quarts. I won't really do much if any towing.
Actually, it's 55k plug change for the Pro Power Onboard, which is standard on the Hybrid (and more watts) and optional on gas-only engines.

So, non-hybrids with the Pro Power Onboard is also 55k plug change, because Ford makes the assumption that you're going to actually use it.

Back