Oil type and bubbles

I have been a loyal customer of Pennzoil after reading all the posts here. But recently I realized that PUP 0W-20 is not the right oil for my VR30 since it is a TGDI. So I decided to switch to Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 as it was on sale.

The engine sounds a bit louder with the Mobil1 EP, but I am quite surprise that there is no bubbles on the dipstick at all when I check it immediately after the engine shuts off. But with PUP, there would be many tiny bubbles, although they are gone if I check 15 min later. Does this mean that Mobil1 has better antifoam additive than PUP? Would those bubbles in PUP do any damage to the engine?

This is not related to overfilling since I always adjust the oil to the same level. And I am sure that the oil temperature is in the same range.

Originally Posted by OliverQ50
I have been a loyal customer of Pennzoil after reading all the posts here. But recently I realized that PUP 0W-20 is not the right oil for my VR30 since it is a TGDI. So I decided to switch to Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 as it was on sale.

The engine sounds a bit louder with the Mobil1 EP, but I am quite surprise that there is no bubbles on the dipstick at all when I check it immediately after the engine shuts off. But with PUP, there would be many tiny bubbles, although they are gone if I check 15 min later. Does this mean that Mobil1 has better antifoam additive than PUP? Would those bubbles in PUP do any damage to the engine?

This is not related to overfilling since I always adjust the oil to the same level. And I am sure that the oil temperature is in the same range.

I was taught in 1969 that the best way to check your oil dipstick level - is after the engine sits overnight. No Lawrence Welk Bubbles.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

I was taught in 1969 that the best way to check your oil dipstick level - is after the engine sits overnight. No Lawrence Welk Bubbles.

Agree 110%
wink.gif

But you won't find out whether the oil has foaming issue if you check it overnight.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/255/oil-foam

Here's an article that describes foaming causes albeit for heavy machinery. My take on this is not to worry about the few small bubbles you found with Pennzoil. I've had about forty cars in my life and I'm sure I've seen a bubble or two on the dipstick, and I'm sure it wasn't from crankcase churning.

I've never used PUP. Why is it unsuitable for TGDI?

op,

While you are at it, do some research on viscosity grade as well ... iirc, with TDGI, higher viscosity oil plus dexos may work better. Not suggesting that you shouldn't follow your manufacturer recommendation ... but use that search function and decide.

Btw, we have a 4 cyl 2.4L gdi and never seen any bubbles using PP and/or M1 EP and even different dinos. However the lowest viscosity I have used is 5W30 and the engine runs very cool. It's not a turbo but it runs much cooler maybe because of 5.x quarts. Yours is most likely running much hotter. I have a 2.7L mpfi v6 with 4.2 quarts and runs hotter.

Originally Posted by Eddie
From a cold start My engine revs to ~ 1400 and drops to 1,000 in under 10 seconds and then I go gently. Ed

According to the link @csandste had posted, not letting oil to warm-up can cause foaming.

I knew running fast quickly is not a good idea but had forgotten about some of the reasons ... like foaming.

There are articles that states to not let the engine warm up because of fuel economy reasons. I just warm up 2-3 minutes and drive slowly. Just personal preference.

Also check your tire pressure after car sits overnight. Have digital tire gauge and small compressor which does the trick.

Back