Oil Transfer Pump?

What are you gals/guys using? I am looking for something to attached to a normal sized mouth (not wide) quart bottle (alternately, the suction tube could be inserted into the bottle without a cap) to transfer ATF into my transmission. Most of the hand pumps I see only transfer a few CC's per pump which would take forever.

There are many 12v powered pumps, which would likely be ideal, but hard to tell which are actually good. Any reviews or recommendations?

0714201142_HDR.jpg

I've used the garden sprayer route for gear oil for hard to fill boxes. It works, but is awkward and slow.

Saw Eric O over at SMA using one of these to fill a gear box from quart bottles. He highly recommended ones like this for gear oil and fluids: Drill powered pump kit

Not awkward or slow IMO. I bought a Motiv for my ATF before I made this one for gear oil.
How to make a fluid transfer pump

1 gallon pump sprayer ($10 Home Depot)
10 ft 1/4”id x 3/8”od clear vinyl tubing ($3.25 Home Depot)
1/4”x1/4” or 3/8”x3/8” mini ball valve with barb ends. ($12 for two on Amazon)
Optional: hose clamps or zip ties for added security at high pressure.

Remove original tubing from sprayer and replace with the clear tubing.
Cut tubing to desired length. I made mine long enough reach without the need to drag it under the truck.
Add the ball valve to the end.
Cut additional length of tubing to reach from ball valve into fill hole securely.
Done.
If you want to establish a baseline level in your pump, fill it with a qt of your desired fluid and pump it back into the original container to see how much stays in the pump. It’s usually only a few ounces.
Pics on this thread.
https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-g...ml#post3525463

I've used the garden sprayer route for gear oil for hard to fill boxes. It works, but is awkward and slow.

Saw Eric O over at SMA using one of these to fill a gear box from quart bottles. He highly recommended ones like this for gear oil and fluids: Drill powered pump kit
I don't know how you used yours but mine couldn't be called "slow" in any sense; Nor is it awkward. You fill it, pump it, stick the end in the hole and squeeze.

And it's a lot more economical than your $99 Amazon link.

Not awkward or slow IMO. I bought a Motiv for my ATF before I made this one for gear oil.
How to make a fluid transfer pump

1 gallon pump sprayer ($10 Home Depot)
10 ft 1/4”id x 3/8”od clear vinyl tubing ($3.25 Home Depot)
1/4”x1/4” or 3/8”x3/8” mini ball valve with barb ends. ($12 for two on Amazon)
Optional: hose clamps or zip ties for added security at high pressure.

Remove original tubing from sprayer and replace with the clear tubing.
Cut tubing to desired length. I made mine long enough reach without the need to drag it under the truck.
Add the ball valve to the end.
Cut additional length of tubing to reach from ball valve into fill hole securely.
Done.
If you want to establish a baseline level in your pump, fill it with a qt of your desired fluid and pump it back into the original container to see how much stays in the pump. It’s usually only a few ounces.
Pics on this thread.
https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-g...ml#post3525463
I will look into this. I definitely do not want to spend more than is necessary for a tool that I may use a few times per year. Thanks!

Edit - @1000MPH - I looked through most of the pages in that thread but could not find a picture of your pump. Do you know which page it is on?

PS...I see the conversations on that site replicate the ones on the Wrangler site as soon as someone mentions oil, oil filters, or "best". LOL

Last edited:
I don't know how you used yours but mine couldn't be called "slow" in any sense; Nor is it awkward. You fill it, pump it, stick the end in the hole and squeeze.

And it's a lot more economical than your $99 Amazon link.

The OP specifically asked about something with a suction hose that can be inserted into bottles or attached to a bottle and I offered one.

I'm sure there's options more economical than "my amazon link".

Like I say, I too use the garden sprayer method and have so for years. It's not the best for dispensing ~75w90 into the T-case on my Pathfinder because where the fill plug is. I have add tubing to snake around things to get where it needs to go is all.

I will look into this. I definitely do not want to spend more than is necessary for a tool that I may use a few times per year. Thanks!

Edit - @1000MPH - I looked through most of the pages in that thread but could not find a picture of your pump. Do you know which page it is on?

PS...I see the conversations on that site replicate the ones on the Wrangler site as soon as someone mentions oil, oil filters, or "best". LOL
This is what my pump looks like.
366676d1596086160-front-rear-diff-fluid-change-cf46f8a2-89bc-4406-901e-631e531c8268-jpg

This will work totally fine and won't take too long-I have one and have used it to do similar servicing tasks several times.

Back