Fluid transfer pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to be dropping the pan on my 6r80 equipped F150 soon. This is a non-dipstick trans which has a fill port under the vehicle (very close to a cat). Using Maxlife ATF which seems to have a larger than normal mouth. Any suggestions for a fluid transfer pump? At this time, I'll probably use the $5 HF/parts store special and I also have a funnel with 3 feet of fairly small diameter tubing attached which might work. Both these methods will likely be slow and frustrating as it will take something like 6-7qts for a pan drop based on what I've seen online. Any better options out there without spending a ton of money?

I do have a motiv power bleeder which could be used but Motive recommends not to since you could end up with contaminated fluids. If I go this route, would a rinse and flush with isopropyl be adequate to decontaminate the unit before and after?

Can you just get some clear vinyl tubing (3/8 id maybe) from a hardware store and a funnel that fits in it and run the tube up to under the hood? This is how I fill transmissions and diffs.

I have one of those orange hf pumps that I use to drain the trans from the dipstick but I wouldn't bother with it for filling.

Filling with a small tube and funnel will take a few minutes but not really any slower than some cheap pump contraption. ATF pours pretty fast. Putting it in a quart bottle for pouring is also much easier than pouring from a larger jug.

Actually the hoses that come with the hf pump might be long enough for your purposes, get the funnel set while you're there.

Last edited:
My wife's 2008 New Beetle 09G trans is a sealed unit that requires refilling it thru the drain (along with a stupid VAG tool that costs 30 bucks for a threaded rod but thats another story) I got a cheap hand pump at Walmart that looks like a big soap dispenser pump and threads onto quart sized bottles. You can find them anywhere that sells ATF fluid for around $8.00. Here is one very similar: www.amazon.com/Plews-55001-Lubrimat...5646487&sr=8-1&keywords=atf+pump

Are you looking for something that fits individual bottles or a jug? I have multiple Plews 55001 siphons that fit various bottles. I know what you mean, the Maxlife bottle mouth is slightly smaller. I just duct tape the Plews so it doesn't fall out. Still works. But I can't imagine pumping multiple qts that way.

I also have a something similar to this to help me get an accurate level during an exchange. https://www.harborfreight.com/fluid-siphon-pump-62613.html
Its a lot faster than the plews, works better then the red plunger device a lot of people use.

just now I noticed this.. Hey for $8 why not try it. Just need to add some hoses to reach a jug. https://www.harborfreight.com/Battery-Operated-Liquid-Transfer-Pump-64124.html

Also, There's no way you can snake a hose down from the engine compartment into the fill hole somehow?

The HF hand pump works fine for this. It is WAY better than the bottle-fit "hand lotion" style pumps. I pulled 3.8 qts of atf out of a dispstick tube with it most recently and it was reasonably fast. Tolerable to do 6/7 qts. but it will take a little while; good if you have a helper (I use my stepson!). Gravity feed is also an option, though I find it not that much faster and somewhat messier.

When you are done with it - presuming you get one - throw it in a large pan of soapy water, let it sit a little then pump some through. This will both decontaminate it for the next usage if it isn't the same fluid, but also protect the seals from going bad as quickly. It will work well

You can get the orange HF pump at Walmart. It is yellow with the Pennzoil logo and has clear hose.

These have spring loaded fittings that actually pinch and secure the hose.. The hoses on the HF pump just press on and could blow off and spray fluid everywhere. Ask me how I know.. Granted this happened to me with gear oil and you have ATF, but I will never buy one from HF again for this reason. Not worth the risk of making a mess.

A guy on the Blazer Forum also ran an air compressor hose to a jug for a makeshift pump.. He just installed a brass fitting on the jugs lid as well as a hose that ran through and into the fluid, cranked the pressure down to 7 psi or so and bam.

When the air was pushed in, the fluid was pushed out. This was done with gear oil too so I am guessing the job would be easier with ATF.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by buck91
Going to be dropping the pan on my 6r80 equipped F150 soon. This is a non-dipstick trans which has a fill port under the vehicle (very close to a cat). Using Maxlife ATF which seems to have a larger than normal mouth. Any suggestions for a fluid transfer pump? At this time, I'll probably use the $5 HF/parts store special and I also have a funnel with 3 feet of fairly small diameter tubing attached which might work. Both these methods will likely be slow and frustrating as it will take something like 6-7qts for a pan drop based on what I've seen online. Any better options out there without spending a ton of money?

I do have a motiv power bleeder which could be used but Motive recommends not to since you could end up with contaminated fluids. If I go this route, would a rinse and flush with isopropyl be adequate to decontaminate the unit before and after?

Whatever pump you use, you'll deal with the cross contamination issue- unless you buy one pump per fluid! I think what's more important than the rinse and flush is the ease of pump take-down. It really doesn't matter what you flush it with, if you don't break it down, some old fluid will hide in there. Or the flush fluid. Or both.

I got this OTC.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EVPM0LC

I think of it as the best of the worst kind of transfer pump. 3.2oz per pump is not a lot, but better than most this size. It is faster than most hand pumps of its type and size, which is to say it's still slow for even a small fill like a differential.

I use it for VTM-4 and various ATF's. I "decontaminate" by flushing through (and recycling) a few pumps of the new fluid. What I found is, after a while pumping, I'll blow the pressurized end off, whether it's the end cap, or the hose out of the end cap. When that happens it's a real mess. My plan next time is to either use hose clamps, or buy another pump. So I'm looking at this thread with hopes for a strong recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back