Oil to use in 7.3l 02 PSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, now that I have gotten some info on how long oil could stay in an engine heres the big question!

I currently am running amsoil 15W40 and have 8500miles on it, UOA posted, and I would mostly like not exceed 13,000 miles on it by the time 1 year of it being in hits. So with analysis I could go past the year if the numbers show good or I could just plan on changing the oil once a year. As Pablo said good insurance.

I have been looking at the schaeffer's UOAs and they look good, from a cost benefit analysis schaeffer's may be the way to go. What would you all recommend?

Oh yeah as of right now the plan is to auto-rx the truck for 1,500 miles then do a 2000 dino run and then fill with amsoil 15W40 and see what happens. Truck has 22,000 miles on it approx.

biggthumbcoffe.gif

Had a blast driving through slush and ice in the Puget sound today!!!

If the analysis is good, there's no need to change the oil. I've run oil in little-used industrial diesels for several years as long as the analysis is OK.

I like Schaeffer oils. Amsoil is very good, but cost and quality wise, Schaeffer is hard to beat. Also consider Schaeffer Diesel Treat fuel additive.

Ken

My concern was that after a year the analysis may require a change and then the cost of the amsoil does not warrant using it. I will keep on thinking on this one.

Sean
cheers.gif

flynavydiesel,look in the uoa section, there is a posting titled Diesel oil anaylsis on Ford PSD posted by 59 vetteman,with a bypass filter the oil should last a long time. there is ALOT of information ,take the time and good reading.

I have been looking at them and that is what got me interested. The only thing that I can not get a good feel of is the amount of time the oil was in use not mileage.
dunno.gif

I basically went with amsoil due to the ability of synthetic to keep an engine very clean, but then I found this site and learned about oils I had never heard about. TOO many choices!!! But it gives me something to take my mind off of work.

biggthumbcoffe.gif

It is alot of fun and for a bad habit it is not expensive. I use syn oil but I always wonder if it is worth it. My wife has a 2002 powerstroke as well so I follow the posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back