Oil to Combat Fuel Dilution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by kschachn
And as SonofJoe pointed out on here not all VII are the same. Some are of higher quality than others and are more shear resistant. He also stated that higher quality ones are more resistant to permanent viscosity loss.

I have read similar outside of BITOG. That a VII with a low shear stability index - "SSI" (the lower the number the better) is of premium quality (and expensive). Without knowing the base oil(s) viscosity it's impossible to know the quality and how much they're contributing to the finished lubes VI. Unless I'm missing something, and it's quite possible that I am, I just don't see how you can glean much about the lubes VII's from either a VOA or UOA.

Maybe you could make some loose and broad assumptions by noticing permanent shear from the UOA?🤔...dunno..but still, can you definitively attribute that shearing to the quality of the VM or is/was it a result of something else??

Last edited:
VII quality also matters. Redline uses little to no VII's and has always held up well even with fuel dilution.

Yeah somehow I think that was mentioned already.

But "held up well" in terms of fuel dilution must mean permanent viscosity loss, correct? Fuel in oil, any oil, is going to decrease the viscosity no matter which oil it is. Physics is physics. It's how the oil behaves long-term if the fuel is subsequently evaporated from the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back