Oil thickining/ increased oxidation with Auto-RX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen an increase in oil pressure during the cleaning phase of the AutoRX treatment. I'm only 800 miles in and the oil is dark already. I see 5-7 psi higher oil pressure while the oil is still cold but only ~2psi when the oil is hot. I have 2 5/8" mechanical oil pressure and oil temperature gauges so I get a pretty acurate indication of what is going on. I'm not sure if I can stand to leave the oil in till 1500 at the rate it's going. I know everyone is going to tell me the increase in oil pressure is because of the oil passages being cleaned, but I know thats not the case. The inside of this engine is spotless. I had the valve covers off before the treatment and everything is very clean.
The engine is ford 302 with a mild cam and some headwork. It only has ~35k on it, but is 17 years old. I'm running the RX to try to soften the rearmain seal and stop a minor leak, not for the cleaning. The oil has been changed about every 1500-2500 miles because that is all I put on it in a year. The oil sees sustained 240 degrees on the highway. Could this and the RX cause the oil oxidize faster?
Thanks

Wellll, you never know, maybe the oxidation from a 17 year old engine is finally coming off? Varnish has been known to do that with ARX. Any other thoughts?

Could be that your oil pressure sending unit has been dampened by deposits and is now clean. Might be also be a clogged filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back