Oil that makes your car run its best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Motorcraft 5-20.
I would say this is a very good oil. I posted about a Ford Windstar 3.8L that has gone 276K KM (172K Miles) on 10K KM OCI's with MC-5w20. It doesn't leak or burn any oil
thumbsup2.gif

Here's one I think you all forgot about..and that would be Castrol Startup. I put that in my 4.3L Xtreme and you couldn't tell it was running. I've never ran any of the high end Synthetics but the 4.3 liked the QS-Horsepower alot.

I could not feel or hear any difference when the car is warmed up... Oil used include QS Green Bottle, YB, PP, Amsoil ASL, GTX, Syntec... Different gasoline grade shows a more noticable difference under butt dyno!

For me new oil seems to make a difference too. But the biggest change in the feel of the engine was when I went from a 5w30 to 5w20 in the old Aerostar. It felt like it had a little more power with the 5w20. I now have a 5w20 5w30 mix in it, and will run all 5w20 for the winter. For me the thinner oil showed the most improvement from any oil change I've ever done. YMMV

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Through 35 years of oil changes, NOTHING is as smooth as NEW oil.

I think you nailed it Pablo! It`s simply the fresh oil.

I concur with the Pablo fresh oil theory. As a side note, I altrnate in my wifes Buick (Northstar V8) between SuperTech 10w30 dino and Kendall GT1 syn blend 5w30. I change oil based on the OLM, which usually is around 10k miles. When running the Kendall, it doesn't consume a drop but when using the ST I need to add a half quart after about 7k miles. Go figure.

I have never seen any difference in oil.I have run them all in all situations. I think thatConsumer Reports article was right. It really does not matter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
I have never seen any difference in oil.I have run them all in all situations. I think thatConsumer Reports article was right. It really does not matter.

Oh no,not another oil is oil guy!!

I own a piston knockin', timing chain slappin', lifter peckin', tachometer vibratin' Nissan pickup from the Clinton era.

The oil that turns this monster into a fire breathing dragon is Lubrication Engineers Monolec Ultra 8800 15W-40. It's amazing the improvement this makes in the running of the vehicle. I do take a 1-2 MPG hit as compared to a 5W-30 oil but I'll do that trade all day long.

This is absolute hearsay and speculation, but I felt like my engine ran the smoothest/quietest on Pennzoil YB 5w30.

I've run just about every major brand oil over the years plus a lot of cheap house brands. No difference at all in the way the cars run.

Only difference I can see is that a couple may have resulted in slightly more usage. But even that may have been due to other circumstances.

Originally Posted By: rat
Havoline 5w20 in my ZX2 and Expedition.

Hey, this is slightly off-topic but how does the 5W-20 do in the ZX2? My sister just got a '99 ZX2 with 90k miles on it, and I'm planning on running Pennzoil 5W-20. I've never used a 5W-20 before, so I'm pretty intrigued as to how it will work with it
thumbsup2.gif

Switching from Formula Shell 20w-50 to M1 0w-20 in the Spitfire gave me more low rpm pep, better gas mileage, and consumption of about 1 quart per 500 miles. No visible leaks or smoking, but the oil kept disappearing from the sump. Rotella T Syn 5w-40 makes the car purr, but it still runs most smoothly on 20w-50 dino with no appreciable consumption.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Originally Posted By: rat
Havoline 5w20 in my ZX2 and Expedition.

Hey, this is slightly off-topic but how does the 5W-20 do in the ZX2? My sister just got a '99 ZX2 with 90k miles on it, and I'm planning on running Pennzoil 5W-20. I've never used a 5W-20 before, so I'm pretty intrigued as to how it will work with it
thumbsup2.gif

5W-20 works great in these cars, very smooth and quiet.

Originally Posted By: tropic
Switching from Formula Shell 20w-50 to M1 0w-20 in the Spitfire gave me more low rpm pep, better gas mileage, and consumption of about 1 quart per 500 miles. No visible leaks or smoking, but the oil kept disappearing from the sump. Rotella T Syn 5w-40 makes the car purr, but it still runs most smoothly on 20w-50 dino with no appreciable consumption.

In a spitfire?? thats very thin oil for that isnt it??

My Camry really likes RLI Bio-Syn 0w-30. The motor is just as quiet today at 6,200 miles as it was at the first mile with Bio-Syn. I put in the Bio-Syn 9 months ago, and it went through the cold winter.

I like Pennzoil Platinum, too, but I heard the motor getting just a little louder after 4,000 miles with the Platinum, so I changed the PP out at 5,000 miles. I guess it's pyschological for me: if I hear the motor getting louder, I'm less likely to extend beyond 5,000 miles. With this Bio-Syn, it's so quiet, I haven't felt the urge yet to change the oil. Will change at 7,000 or 7,500 miles for sure, though, and get a UOA.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back