Oil that makes your car run its best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: tig1
Even though I've used M1 oils for 3 decades your not going to get me to buy into this "my engine feels beter with this or that oil".

Just play along tig.
smirk2.gif

OK! When I change oil in my Focus I think I'm driving a Roush Mustang it's so much faster. Chuckles.

Really, I can't tell any difference after an OC even with the 10,000 mile OCI. For the life of me I have looked for a change but none.

I remember when I was still in my first car (a 1975 Ford Granada w/302 V-8) I used to say to my grandfather (who was a mechanic all of his life,and a major Quaker State fan)Why does my car feel smoother when I change the oil?? His response was something like;Its possible it`ll be a little smoother at first because you now have good clean oil in her,and maybe flow is a little better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kruse
What oil do you guy`s use/used that made your car feel peppy,run at its best? (besides Amsoil)

Any SM rated oil that I catch on sale.......
+1

One caveat, I prefer a name brand on sale.

Amsoil ACD. It seemed stronger when it hit vtec. The current Redline feels identical to ACD. Maybe it's a 30wt in general.

Every oil feels the same to my butt dyno in my Integra. Sounds the same, revs the same, accelerates the same, etc. And I've used a bunch of different brands in my car... Castrol GTX, Valvoline, Havoline DS, Pennzoil, Pennzoil Platinum and Amsoil ASL.

Amsoil Signature 0W30

Nothing else will go in my engines again!!

Runs better, Better gas economy, smoother engine at idle and acceleration, cooler engine temps, cleaner engine, easier cold winter starts, only needs to be changed once a year!!!

banana2.gif

PP, Maxlife, and Schaeffer's is what I like in my cars.

As for "more pep", never noticed an oil have this effect personally, not yet anyways.

In my old A4 1.8T, GC felt smoother than M1 (0w-40, 5w-30, 0w-30).

In the 530i, I've ran GC, M1 5w-30, and PP 10w-30. Couldn't really tell any difference between them.

You know, I've never looked at an oil as something to make your car run better or worse. It's to provide protection against wear. Whatever makes it last the longest is what I'm going to use, regardless of if I think it makes it run better or not.

I'm wondering if many here think of oil as a "performance mod".

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
You know, I've never looked at an oil as something to make your car run better or worse. It's to provide protection against wear. Whatever makes it last the longest is what I'm going to use, regardless of if I think it makes it run better or not.

I have yet to find a big or noticeable boost or decrease in horsepower when I change from one brand of oil to another. Perhaps I just don't notice the small things, I don't know. While I'm not going to doubt the posters here who have though, for my curiosity, I'd like to have some people here do some "blind" A-B comparison testing. You know where an independent lab changes the car owner's oil and then the owner drives it and tells the panel if there is a increase or decrease in performance.
I suspect the results would surprise a few people.

Nah,I`m talking more in the area of did you ever switch to an oil and say to yourself "man this thing really runs good now"

Well Amsoil is my top choice, and under that I would have to go with Mobil-1 It was very quiet/smooth with that. If you don't like that one then I would go with Pennzoil Platinum!
wink.gif

I've also got a 93 Cougar with a 302 at 48k. Bought it three years ago at 26k and have been running Motorcraft semi 10w-30 and an FL1-A filter to keep it all "Rotunda". Runs fine.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
It's a silly, subjective 'feeling', but I feel my car starts better on Petro-Canada dino 5W-30 vs. 'other' 5W-30's. It just seems to turn over and start quicker on this oil.

Car also consumes the least amount of oil it ever has on this oil.

Addyguy. Thats because Petro Canada oil's are hard to beat
when it comes to cold properties. Check out the Supremes
5w30 pour point at -42 C and it's cold cranking viscosity
of 4710 cP @ -30 C!!!

My 07 Sonata V6 likes anything 5w-20. However, our other 07 Sonata, the GLS with the I4 really smoothed out & quieted down with PP 5w-30.

Nah,I`m talking more in the area of did you ever switch to an oil and say to yourself "man this thing really runs good now"

Gotcha.

I was surprised with the heavier oil because I was paying special attention to any sluggishness but instead it felt stronger under WOT.

I was surprised with the heavier oil because I was paying special attention to any sluggishness but instead it felt stronger under WOT.

^^2nd

Gotcha.

Watch out, that kind of mad talk will get you in trouble
wink.gif

Look what happened when I mentioned something similar about the TDT in my Expedition!

I'm going to throw Kendall 5w-30 syn-blend into the mix. My vehicles seen to be "peppy!!!" with it in the crankcase. Never had any issues with consumption, sludge, or cold winter starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back