oil temp question

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys new to bitog site. im sure this topic has be covered so bare w me.

Ok so the car is a 2013 Subaru sti ej257 motor. recently put in a new built short block to support more power. that being said, I added the innovate motorsports oil pressure and oil temp gauge. never seeing oil temp before the install I had no idea what to expect. im getting oil temp readings between 220 and 240 but never over 240 by a degree. running rotella t6 oil. these temps good or what? thanks for your input.

Originally Posted By: Neversummer
so bare w me.

Ummm.. no thanks.
smile.gif

Quote:

im getting oil temp readings between 220 and 240 but never over 240 by a degree. running rotella t6 oil. these temps good or what? thanks for your input.

Slightly on the higher side, but I'd still call them normal. Is this during leisurely driving or spirited driving?

Those Temps are fine! Try to keep it under 250 F. and you will be fine with your Shell Rotella® T6 Full Synthetic , it may tend to creep up on the Hottest weather conditions, .

Last edited:
normal driving...not even laying into boost. my coolant temps are 180-195. these ej motors use an oil warmer/cooler via the coolant. I have read that 50-60 over coolant temp is normal. im just having a hard time believing that.

depends on where you are getting the temp from?

is the the sump or where?

my fb25(not really related)
was running 218f@75mph and the ambient temp was 80F

t6 being a syn 5w40 you should be good.

If you start to see over 250-260f in any kind of "normal driving" you might need to investigate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
depends on where you are getting the temp from?

is the the sump or where?

my fb25(not really related)
was running 218f@75mph and the ambient temp was 80F

readings are coming from my killerb oil pan w ambient of 65 degrees here in NY currently

Originally Posted By: ShotGun429
Those Temps are fine! Try to keep it under 250 F. and you will be fine with your Shell Rotella® T6 Full Synthetic , it may tend to creep up on the Hottest weather conditions, .

I might want to consider a syn? synthetic?

Originally Posted By: Neversummer
wondering if I should try something a little heavier?

I wouldn't. Heavier oil is likely going to increase your normal operating temp even more due to additional internal friction.

Heavier will increase the oil temp.
5w40 will be fine. if you are autox or otherwise racing it and you see 270-300F you might want to step up for race day.. or increase the cooling.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Heavier will increase the oil temp.
5w40 will be fine. if you are autox or otherwise racing it and you see 270-300F you might want to step up for race day.. or increase the cooling.

ok then ill stick w a 5w-40. these oil warmer/coolers in the ej257 motor are kinda lame

also wonder if this gauge is reading true.

My L67 (GM 3.8 supercharged 6) will crack 110C (230F) after 15 minutes at highway speed, cruising at 65MPH, and under 1800 RPM.

Changing viscosities between 3.2HTHS and 4.4HTHS makes no difference to the outcome.

(10 mins at 4,000RPM and 65MPH - 2nd gear hold - gives 275F on either extreme of viscosity).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back