Oil suggestions for new vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would run the 10w30 in the Chevy and add about 150 ml of 15w50. Your filter may be giving you trouble. In the Honda I would use 5w30. This would be M1 in both vehicles. The OCI would be 6 months, 6000 miles.

As far as viscosities, 10w30 all year sounds fine for the Chevy given your Texas climate. 5w20 for the Honda. Since you are looking at only 5K intervals, a good dino 10w30 syn blend like Castrol should be fine and more cost effective if you fall under a normal service routine. For the Honda I would say Motorcraft 5w20 given it's great UOA results.

I have 2 new vehicles that I would like to get some suggestions as to what motor oil to use. I have a 2004 Chevy Silverado with the 5.3 Vortec and a 2004 Honda Pilot. I changed out the Chevy at 1,000 miles with Penn 10W30 and then switched to 10W30 Amsoil at 3000 miles. I am noticing valve train clatter (not CSK) for a short time after start up. It did not do this with the original oil. Now the Honda I originally went with RP 5W20 and it seemed to really like that oil. I changed out to 0W20 Mobil 1 (cheaper and easier to find) and the motor seems a little noiser at start up. I would like to follow 5000 OCI's on both vehicles. Any recommendations? Could I run 5W30 in both vehicles?

I have a new 2004 SE-R put Syntec 10/30 in but bought Amsoil 10/30 and their filters (Air & Oil)for the next change. I hope to get better mileage out of it. I used Syntec for 130000 miles in my Nissan truck without a flaw. So I will let you know how it works in my car. Dropitby

quote:

Originally posted by mikemc:
For the Honda I would say Motorcraft 5w20 given it's great UOA results.

I think most of those great reports were for 4 cyls, this is a V6. Besides Mobil 5w-30/10w30s are on the thin side to start with, so for this climate, we're splitting hairs. I stand by my choices for this climate and vehicles if you wanted to use one oil for both vehicles.

quote:

Originally posted by Bulldog:

Could I run 5W30 in both vehicles?

I certainly would myself . I'd pick up a 5 gallon pail " $4.70 a quart " of Synergyn 5w-30 and run the Honda to 10k miles if it see's quite a bit of hi-way , the Chevy to near same with a filter change in the middle of the interval where you live again with some hiway driving .

welcome.gif
to the forum

[ April 20, 2004, 07:11 AM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:

quote:

I think most of those great reports were for 4 cyls, this is a V6. Besides Mobil 5w-30/10w30s are on the thin side to start with, so for this climate, we're splitting hairs. I stand by my choices for this climate and vehicles if you wanted to use one oil for both vehicles.

Actually many were V8's and V10's in Ford trucks.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:

quote:

Actually many were V8's and V10's in Ford trucks.

My bad. I was referring to great reports on HONDAS.

I have run only 5W-30 synthetic in both my vehicles (a 98 Ford CV and 2001 Nissan Pather) since New and have never had any problems with them. take it from

quote:

Originally posted by Bulldog:
I changed out the Chevy at 1,000 miles with Penn 10W30 and then switched to 10W30 Amsoil at 3000 miles. I am noticing valve train clatter (not CSK) for a short time after start up. It did not do this with the original oil. .... Any recommendations? Could I run 5W30 in both vehicles?

I have an 04 Suburban with the 5.3. I put in Schaeffer's #703, a 10W30 blend at 1.5k and at 5k. I used a Delco UltraGuard 44 both times. I get no clatter. Overall, the oil seems to be doing fine. I'm at 5.5k now. May do a UOA later. I plan on 5k changes with the Schaeffer's.

I don't see why 5W30 wouldn't work. I went with 10W30 over the 5W30 because Cst of 10.51 vs. 10.07. Many on the forum think thicker is better for the Vortecs. My Schaeffer dealer in NC said virtually all his customers picked 10W30 over 5W30.

Good luck and welcome.

Jack

5w-30 would be my choice and a full synthetic at that. At 300 miles I switched my 2003 Durango 4.7 to Mobil1 SS. I am now stictly an Amsoil user 5w-30. Truck runs great and now with over 13,000 miles she runs great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back