Oil suggestion: High Mileage Jeep Grand Cherokee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Dumc87
Originally Posted By: car51
PYB 10w30 or even 5w30 Pennzoil "GOLD" blend.

Hmm, why Pennzoil over Castrol for my application? I do really like how the PPPHM 5w20 "feels" in my Matrix. No idea if that's just placebo or factual though lol

I have a jug of PPPHM 10w30 ready to go for the Z and PPPHM 5w30 for the Matrix in Summer (Florida gets pretty toasty in June & July LOL)

I apologize, did not see that you got
The castrol HM

Thought I'd try my hand at researching some specs of the oils I'm interested in for the Jeep:

Current
Valvoline MaxLife HDEO 15w40 -

Typical Properties
SAE Viscosity Grade 15W-40
Density, 15 C, g/mL 0.870
Viscosity @ 40 C, cSt 116.7
Viscosity @ 100 C, cSt 15.5
Viscosity Index 140
CCS Viscosity @ - 20 C, cP 6500
Borderline Pumping Viscosity @ - 25 C, cP Pass
High Temp. High Shear Viscosity @ 150 C, cP 4.35
Noack Volatility, % loss 8%
Pour Point, deg. C -30
Sulfated Ash, % Total Base Number (D-2896) 10
Foam / Aeration Test Pass

Next test:
Castrol Edge 5w30 HM -

Typical Characteristics
Name Method Units Typical Values
Density @ 15C, Relative ASTM D4052 g/ml 0.856
Appearance Visual - Clear & Bright
Viscosity, Kinematic 100C ASTM D445 mm²/s 11.3
Viscosity, CCS -30C ASTM D5293 mPa.s (cP) 6200
Pour Point ASTM D97 °C -39
Viscosity, MRV / Yield Stress -35C (5W) ASTM D4684 mPa.s (cP) 35000
Viscosity, Kinematic 40C ASTM D445 mm²/s 67.2
Viscosity Index ASTM D2270 None 159
Noack Volatility ASTM D5800 % Loss 10.0
Flash Point, PMCC ASTM D93 °C 220

Also looked up a few other oils, but copying/pasting the info came out hideously, so I've omitted quite a few.

What numbers here should I be looking out for with the Jeep?

The Valvoline MaxLife 15w40 is 15.5, which may be why I feel it is sluggish. My guess is something between 12-13 would be good for the Jeep, but I've no real knowledge of these numbers and what they pertain to. I'm trying to learn though!

Last edited:
The Castrol HM didn't really help my Liberty out much. Jury is out on Maxlife. So far seeing good results in my XJ with Pennzoil HM.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
The Castrol HM didn't really help my Liberty out much. Jury is out on Maxlife. So far seeing good results in my XJ with Pennzoil HM.

Which Pennzoil HM? Plat or the red label stuff?

Originally Posted By: Kuato

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 +280k - Maxlife 15w40

Thoughts??

3 thoughts on this:
First, keep doing what you are doing, or

Second, the 5.9 (360cid) was run on a 30 weight for many years. If it doesn't leak any, then go ahead and try the 5w30 in your favorite brand and see how it does; and

Third, the mpg you quoted is pretty good, that's known to be a thirsty engine....I agree that the oil won't make much of a difference, but it might especially if you go to a 5wXX vs the 15wXX you have in there right now.

That's where my thought-line is. If the 5.9 leaked, then I'd say the 15w40 HDEO oil is justified. However, the thing runs great!

Eventually I'm going to have to appease my curiosity and run a 5w30 weight. I figure 3K intervals would be best, considering the mileage and ease of an oil change. Maybe 5K with a full syn.?

The idea of an oversize filter could work, but I'm not sure what's a step up from the SuperTech size ST16 (that's the only PN oil filter I remember lol)

3000 dino and 5000 synthetic sound like decent starting points, but with today's oils and a pushrod V8 I would think you could go 5000/7500 respectively without issue; maybe send in a sample at the lower mileage and leave it in.

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 +280k - Maxlife 15w40

Thoughts??

3 thoughts on this:
First, keep doing what you are doing, or

Second, the 5.9 (360cid) was run on a 30 weight for many years. If it doesn't leak any, then go ahead and try the 5w30 in your favorite brand and see how it does; and

Third, the mpg you quoted is pretty good, that's known to be a thirsty engine....I agree that the oil won't make much of a difference, but it might especially if you go to a 5wXX vs the 15wXX you have in there right now.

That's where my thought-line is. If the 5.9 leaked, then I'd say the 15w40 HDEO oil is justified. However, the thing runs great!

Eventually I'm going to have to appease my curiosity and run a 5w30 weight. I figure 3K intervals would be best, considering the mileage and ease of an oil change. Maybe 5K with a full syn.?

The idea of an oversize filter could work, but I'm not sure what's a step up from the SuperTech size ST16 (that's the only PN oil filter I remember lol)

3000 dino and 5000 synthetic sound like decent starting points, but with today's oils and a pushrod V8 I would think you could go 5000/7500 respectively without issue; maybe send in a sample at the lower mileage and leave it in.

I'm actually strongly considering doing a UOA on the Matrix's 5w20 PP HM and now the Castrol Edge HM 5w30 at 5,000 miles each to see what's going on inside.

Originally Posted By: Red91
Surprised no one's mention Delo 15W-40. If you're looking for a stout oil at a good value Delo is it. Should be able to do 5K no problem on Delo.

I used Delo 5w40 in the Z for a bit... sadly never actually drove with it in there. I just used it cause it was cheap and seemed stout.

I see Chevron has some deals going on with their oils, but I'm already set on the Castrol Edge right now. Delo and MaxLife are on the candidate list for the next OC.

Really any 15W-40 is more than sufficient, but I've always liked Delo the best. If you want an xW-30, their XLE 10W-30 is a good product, and being HDEO, is on the heavier end of the grade.

No change in oil grade is going to bring the reduction in fuel use you seek.
The 360 should be fine on a thirty grade, though and you should see at least a small but real reduction in thirst versus a forty plus Lucas oil thickener, which is what it really is.
If a 10W-30 was the OEM recommendation for this engine, which I'd bet was the case, then any current 5W-30 should be fine for it.
Give this grade a try and see how it goes.
You won't hurt anything.

Well I drained the old oil but had to keep the supertech st16 filter on, as the oversize filter hits the upper control arm. Extra oil ain't worth banging into and losing all the oil lol

Last edited:
Well I drained the old oil but had to keep the supertech st16 filter on, as the oversize filter hits the upper control arm. Extra oil ain't worth banging into and losing all the oil lol

Sounds like a really good filter might be going on next time....what oil did you settle on using?

Last edited:

Sounds like a really good filter might be going on next time....what oil did you settle on using?

The Castrol Edge HM 5w30 for now
Yeah next filter, I definitely want to go with something that has synthetic or a blend compound for the media filter.

Probably hop on the Fram Ultra wagon
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back