Oil suggestion for 5.4 Ford engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone

I've been reading posts on this site for a couple of weeks now & you guys seem to really know your stuff so, I wanted to ask your opinions. I have a 2003 F-150 with a 5.4 engine. I'm running Ford 5w-20 till I get around 10000 miles on the truck. Right now I've narrowed my choices down to Amsoil 5w-30 ASL, 0W-30 S2000, or Shaffers 5w-30. I want to be able to run 8000 miles between changes. I know Ford recomends 5w-20 but I live in the south & also do a fair amount of towing. What oil do you recommend & when do you think I can start to extend the drain interval.

I'm running Mobil 1 5W30 in my 2003 F150 4.6 right now. It is on the low range of the 30wt scale, closer to a 20w than others I've seen so that's the primary reason.

I like the used oil analysis results I've seen posted here but I live in Texas and we've yet to see a 5W20 analysis on oil used in hot summer conditions. I will be switching to Mobil 1 10W30 in July.

I like Mobil 1 from looking at all the UOA but 8000 is about the limit for it in my opinion.
Why not go 6000 with mobil 1? Safe and reasonable price and availability.

Even though I'm not an Amsoil user- I would be more than comfortable with Amsoil. Unless you are going with the Shaffers Moly pure Syn 5W-30. My preference is Amsoil. Just an opinion though.
smile.gif

BruceB, until your factory warranty expires Ford requires oil changes every 5,000 miles to keep the warranty valid. Unfortunately they don't differentiate between synthetic or dino oil. Of course after the warranty period you can do what you want to do.
Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back