Oil spec needed, 2.4 2azfe Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: PurplePride
Please see this TSB. Oil requirements for the ≤2006 2AZFE changed to 0w20/5w20.
Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) #EG018-06
Those with TSB for Oil

Scott
The TSB is about ILSAC GF-4 oils being the new "Genuine Toyota Oil". The TSB WARNS in a BIG RED BOX at the beginning to 'use what is on the filler cap or owners manual'. This is the most poorly written and misleading TSB I've ever read. If they Backed specd to 20W oil on this "old" TSB, how come the 1NZFE for 2007, 2008 and 2009 still recommend 5w-30 on the filler cap and NO owners have been notified of, or sent an addendum. TSB are for dealer consumption NOT owners (though we like and want to read 'em about our cars, thats for sure)

I sent an email when this came out and was answered. Since it's been 4 years, I lost it but I emailed them again today.
I am sure I will get an answer soon and will post it.
While it is confusing, you're making some statements with no backup.
How do you know no owners were notified? How do you know all those cars still have 5w30 on the filler caps? I've seen new tCs with 5w20 on their caps, so I will wait for the email from Scion and post it.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
Here is the Australian spec for 02 - 05 camry's. it will make ARCO see stars... i even have 5w-30 durablend and pennzoil lined up.

Directly from my OM...

Oil.jpg

My Yaris manual states that 'the 5w-30 recommended for fuel economy may not provide adequate lubrication and protection in severe service or high speed driving'

so what do they advise for high speed driving and sever service? 10w-30?lol

Originally Posted By: 38sho
Here is the Australian spec for 02 - 05 camry's. it will make ARCO see stars... i even have 5w-30 durablend and pennzoil lined up.

Directly from my OM...

Oil.jpg

My Yaris manual states that 'the 5w-30 recommended for fuel economy may not provide adequate lubrication and protection in severe service or high speed driving'

so what do they advise for high speed driving and sever service? 10w-30?lol

Nah, 20w50. Thicker is better™
Although, a case of oil might weigh more than the Yaris does :)

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
I DOUBT that your manual is any different from the other Toyota manuals I've read. They all look like this;

I have seen those words in the new manuals Toyota redesigned in 2008. Here's what it says for the 2GR-FE
Quote:
The 30 in 5W-30 indicates the oil viscosity when the oil is at its operating temperature. An oil with a higher viscosity may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions.

I asked Toyota to define the phrases "extreme load conditions" and "at high speeds" and this is what they said.

Quote:
The term, "high speeds" refers to driving at highway speeds for an extended period of time. The term "extreme load" refers to going uphills or loaded with passengers, also for extended periods of time.

The oil viscosity recommended varies based on engine type and driving conditions. Driving under normal conditions, 0W-20 is recommended for the 2.5 liter engine and 5W-30 is recommended for the 3.5 liter engine. If you operate in cold/hot weather conditions or special operating conditions, please see your owner's manual for the recommended oil viscosity. We cannot recommend any other viscosity that is not in the owner's manual.

Then they go on and say I need to talk the dealership for a recommendation. Yeah, right.
smirk2.gif

They didn't define "extended periods." Based on this answer, a lot more people would need to ignore the viscosity recommendation. I think they're wrong. The people on the other end don't always know what they're talking about. I'd like to send a second e-mail and see what they say this time, but I'll probably get another bad answer.

I think Toyota is just covering their bases in case an engine breaks down, but they're doing a terrible job about it. They never added that paragraph for earlier 2GR-FE's, and I doubt they're that worried.

The 5S-FE and 1MZ-FE in the 1996-2001's are the only known sludgers. 2AZ-FE's, like most 'oytas, are quite light on oil.

Any 5W-30 is perfect and factory-recommended.

Unfortunately the VVTi system marginalises your viscosity choices, the 1NZ engine does not respond well to 40wt sump and looses low end torque. The sweet spot in the 1NZ-FE seems to be between 10 and 11 cSt. Since the sump is usually below 100C the viscosity will be somewhat above the 100cSt value.

Originally Posted By: znode
The 5S-FE and 1MZ-FE in the 1996-2001's are the only known sludgers. 2AZ-FE's, like most 'oytas, are quite light on oil.

Any 5W-30 is perfect and factory-recommended.

Up until 2006. Then it went to 5w20. I'll post when Scion gets back to me.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
My 06 tC still specs 5w30. Must have been a mid year switch then.

Why do you say that? Mine has a 5w30 cap and manual, but they told me at the dealer and I read online and TSB to change to 5w20 in March, 2006.

I say it because its on the cap, hence that is what the factory wanted when they slapped it together.

I am happy with a 30 weight and dont like 20 weights for summer especially. Iowa gets pretty hot.

Nope.......no need to. Better selection of 5w30 around here than 5w20.

If it was back speced that does not concern me. When my engine was designed and built it was with 5w30 in mind. Im willing to bet the 5w20 change was for fuel economy. Id rather go thicker than thinner but thats just me.

Last edited:
I say it because its on the cap, hence that is what the factory wanted when they slapped it together.

I am happy with a 30 weight and dont like 20 weights for summer especially. Iowa gets pretty hot.

Your 2AZ-FE is fine with 20 weights.

For any other engine, I would ignore that TSB.

Take a photo of that page of the manual and post it up here...

sure. I will on the weekend. I don't know how to interpret you request so I will assume it is genuine?

Last edited:
here you go bill. i trust this meets your evidentiary standards.
copyright lies with Toyota Motor Corp Australia.

. . . . If it was back-speced that does not concern me. When my engine was designed and built it was with 5w30 in mind. Im willing to bet the 5w20 change was for fuel economy. Id rather go thicker than thinner but thats just me.

Me, too.

Bill, Toyota does plenty of retro-speccing for differing climates, differing oil supplies, and different economies. There are plenty of countries where temperatures never drop below 60F. There are also plenty of countries, as in South America or Asia, where you can't find anything other than a 40 or a 50wt simply because private car ownership is so rare and only trucking is present.

Example oil scans for the Prius. Spanish/Latin American country, Japan. (Yes, 20W50 for a Prius)
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/at...l-viscosity.pdf

You know, seeing that the oil spec chart is literally identical between AU and the one I linked in, it might very well be that Toyota created several markets, such as

1. Japan
2. North America
3. Europe
4. International

Then translate and slap the spec sheet into the manual. In this case AU got classed into Europe, or International?

Take a photo of that page of the manual and post it up here...

sure. I will on the weekend. I don't know how to interpret you request so I will assume it is genuine?

No not yours. Arco's and his Yaris USA manual. (that is why I highlighted his comments in RED to indicate who/what I was replying to)

Your original post had the scan of the page. Why would I need to see it again?
grin2.gif

Sorry that you misunderstood the request.
cheers3.gif

Bill

Originally Posted By: znode
Bill, Toyota does plenty of retro-speccing for differing climates, differing oil supplies, and different economies. There are plenty of countries where temperatures never drop below 60F. There are also plenty of countries, as in South America or Asia, where you can't find anything other than a 40 or a 50wt simply because private car ownership is so rare and only trucking is present.

Example oil scans for the Prius. Spanish/Latin American country, Japan. (Yes, 20W50 for a Prius)
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/at...l-viscosity.pdf

Understand that and if you look at the post where I was asking for info, the HIGHLIGHTED in RED was who it was directed to.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back