Oil spec needed, 2.4 2azfe Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
High % of VII to get the 30w. It is essntially a light base oil between SAE 10 and 5 then additised to get the 30W. VII are NOT lubricants. Thats why you see HD oils used in aircooled engines and gensets rec SAE 30. They are prone to shearing out of grade. VII cause heavy valve head deposits (especially on DI engines and oil burners) and rung land gums and varnish. They are not an oil or a lubricant - especially the EPDM based product made from reground innertubes and tirte liners - yep thats where they get the stuff!

We are not dealing with;

A. Air cooled engines
B. DI engine
C. oil burner

smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
High % of VII to get the 30w. It is essntially a light base oil between SAE 10 and 5 then additised to get the 30W. VII are NOT lubricants. Thats why you see HD oils used in aircooled engines and gensets rec SAE 30. They are prone to shearing out of grade. VII cause heavy valve head deposits (especially on DI engines and oil burners) and rung land gums and varnish. They are not an oil or a lubricant - especially the EPDM based product made from reground innertubes and tirte liners - yep thats where they get the stuff!

We are not dealing with;

A. Air cooled engines
B. DI engine
C. oil burner

smirk2.gif

No dis-respect Arco,but Bill`s comment was funny!
48.gif

The 2azFE makes more power than the 83 Porsche 944 2.5L engine. Treat it like a Porsche and give it the good stuff.

Last edited:
The 2azFE makes more power than the 83 Porsche 944 2.5L engine. Treat it like a Porsche and give it the good stuff.

Wasnt the 944 supposed to be a VW originally and got marketed as a Porsche instead?

80's motors were by in large weak performers. My 86 Monte Carlo Super Sport with the High Output 5.0 (305) put out a dismal 190 HP. My Scion tC does nearly that with half the engine.

The ≤2006 2AZFE was originally spec'd for 5w30.
After I bought it in December, 2005 (mine's a 2006) they changed ≥2006 2AZFE to 5w20.
Been running it since about 20k miles - after the GC 0w30 ran out.
I do get about 20 more miles per tank - but that could also be break-in and other factors.
Either way, I now am on 0w20 Toyota synthetic, and will see how that goes.

This info is about 30 years out of date, Arco.

Modern VII's don't cause problems, and some ARE lubricants.

You realize your statement reads EXACTLY like an article on 10W-50 oils from 1973? (PS)

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

Wasnt the 944 supposed to be a VW originally and got marketed as a Porsche instead?

80's motors were by in large weak performers.

Shhhhh...

Be quiet..

Don't ruin it for Arco..
48.gif

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

80's motors were by in large weak performers.

Shhhhh...

Be quiet..

Don't ruin it for Arco..
48.gif

Does he still have a stash of ARCO Graphite that he uses maybe?

80's motors were by in large weak performers. My 86 Monte Carlo Super Sport with the High Output 5.0 (305) put out a dismal 190 HP. My Scion tC does nearly that with half the engine.
The 2.5 PORSCHE engine is a great engine and is essntially 1/2 of the 928 V8 - It is not a VW engine like the 924. I used to "Ferris Bueller" in My dads '83 . Champagne Silver with Dark Chocolate Leather. Great car in its day or any decade and pricey.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

You realize your statement reads EXACTLY like an article on 10W-50 oils from 1973? (PS)
Ask any one with a DI engine how the valve deposits are. VII are not oil. Oil has to do the primary lubricating as the additives are only a fraction of a percent in the mix. So do you want an oil in there or and acrylate or ethylene propylene diene monomer ground up and reacted with "oxy 10" (yes thats how its made)mystery derived "plastic" in there. All I see on UOA are - Ohh , sheared out of grade, YOIKE!, sheared out of grade, huh, Uh ohh, it sheared out of grade.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

Ask any one with a DI engine how the valve deposits are. VII are not oil. Oil has to do the primary lubricating as the additives are only a fraction of a percent in the mix. So do you want an oil in there or and acrylate or ethylene propylene diene monomer ground up and reacted with "oxy 10" (yes thats how its made)mystery derived "plastic" in there. All I see on UOA are - Ohh , sheared out of grade, YOIKE!, sheared out of grade, huh, Uh ohh, it sheared out of grade.

And WHAT does this have to do with a Toyota 2.4l Camry motor?

Like the one that this thread is ABOUT?

I have the same engine in a 2003 and wondered about running the 5w20. Called toyota and they recommended staying with 5w30 even though new cars after 2005 or 2006 were spec with that particular weight. What would be different in the engines made in 2003 to 2006?

Originally Posted By: bfrey64
I have the same engine in a 2003 and wondered about running the 5w20. Called toyota and they recommended staying with 5w30 even though new cars after 2005 or 2006 were spec with that particular weight. What would be different in the engines made in 2003 to 2006?

Three years of use. :)

Originally Posted By: 38sho
I need a little help, I know its a popular car so someone on here must have one on this vintage

I had my baby Friday so I'm off of work for the week so I don't have access to my work computer.

what is the oil spec for a 2002 Toyota Camry, with the 2.4, I believe its called the 2azfe engine........

is it a 5w-30 or 5w-20 year?

thanks, guy just wants something cheaper, non synthetic, so I'll look around for a deal

Congratulations on your new baby!

According to my Haynes manual (which covers the 2002-2006 model year Camrys; I have a 2006 Camry with the same engine), 5W-30 or 10W-30 are suitable, with 5W-30 being "preferred".

In addition, my 2006 Camry's owner's manual only lists 5W-30 (not 10W-30). The 2002-2006 Camry service manual from Toyota recommends 5W-30.

Ignore ARCO; there's a brazillion cars with 2AZ-FE engines out there today with modern oil churning around inside them. API SM and ILSAC GF-4 oils are outstanding, and exceed previous specifications. Use any modern oil meeting the correct weight and grade and you can't go wrong.

Here is the Australian spec for 02 - 05 camry's. it will make ARCO see stars... i even have 5w-30 durablend and pennzoil lined up.

Directly from my OM...

Oil.jpg

Last edited:
Please see this TSB. Oil requirements for the ≤2006 2AZFE changed to 0w20/5w20.
Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) #EG018-06
Those with TSB for Oil

Scott

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PurplePride
Please see this TSB. Oil requirements for the ≤2006 2AZFE changed to 0w20/5w20.
Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) #EG018-06
Those with TSB for Oil

Scott
The TSB is about ILSAC GF-4 oils being the new "Genuine Toyota Oil". The TSB WARNS in a BIG RED BOX at the beginning to 'use what is on the filler cap or owners manual'. This is the most poorly written and misleading TSB I've ever read. If they Backed specd to 20W oil on this "old" TSB, how come the 1NZFE for 2007, 2008 and 2009 still recommend 5w-30 on the filler cap and NO owners have been notified of, or sent an addendum. TSB are for dealer consumption NOT owners (though we like and want to read 'em about our cars, thats for sure)

Originally Posted By: crinkles
Here is the Australian spec for 02 - 05 camry's. it will make ARCO see stars... i even have 5w-30 durablend and pennzoil lined up.

Directly from my OM...

Oil.jpg

My Yaris manual states that 'the 5w-30 recommended for fuel economy may not provide adequate lubrication and protection in severe service or high speed driving'

Originally Posted By: crinkles

Directly from my OM...

Oil.jpg

My Yaris manual states that 'the 5w-30 recommended for fuel economy may not provide adequate lubrication and protection in severe service or high speed driving'

Take a photo of that page of the manual and post it up here...

I DOUBT that your manual is any different from the other Toyota manuals I've read. They all look like this;

image0119.jpg

The only exception is the weight of the oil in the newer vehicles. 5w-20 is indicated and on the trucks it does say that you can use 5w-30 oil and change it back to 5w-20 at the next oci.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back