Oil Sold at Walmart

ant

I've seen discussion that the oil sold at Walmart is the exact same oil sold at parts stores, but why would the part number and SKU be different?

I've seen discussion that the oil sold at Walmart is the exact same oil sold at parts stores, but why would the part number and SKU be different?
Where do you see that?

Here's the Walmart Manufacturer's Part Number:
1716828231809.jpg

Here's Autozone, same MPN:
1716828256377.jpg

Advanced Auto:
1716828298280.jpg

O'Reilly lists a Universal Part Code, not a MPN, but the UPC matches. It's all the same.

Where did you see different SKU and part numbers? Checking my stash, and whether AAP, AZ or Walmart, the same oil has the same numbers.

But they don't. they have the same number. Unless you're talking about the retailers identifying number that they each use in their own system to itemize inventory so it can be scanned and priced of course.

It helps defeat price matching obligations for one.
I first saw this many years ago when we were shopping for something like a baby stroller or car seat. Just picking a random brand made-up model #, but Walmart would have a Graco CS-392AWM in their store and Target would have CS-392AT in theirs. Everything down to the fabric pattern was identical and even the owners manual on their website only referenced "CS-392A". Neither store would price-match the other though because "the model numbers don't match". Kicker was, only the # on the outer, cardboard box referenced the "WM" or "T" too.

For example, the five quart 5w30 Restore & Protect at Walmart is Part #904590 amd SKU #904590 and at Auto Zone it is Part #904566 SKU #1345764.

The SKU is used internally by the retailer, right? So Walmart could ask the oil manufactures to use whatever SKU they wanted for their own inventory/tracking purposes. Walmart is a big enough customer that I'm sure they wouldn't mind. I don't see how that is unusual or of concern.

The SKU is used internally by the retailer, right? So Walmart could ask the oil manufactures to use whatever SKU they wanted for their own inventory/tracking purposes. Walmart is a big enough customer that I'm sure they wouldn't mind. I don't see how that is unusual or of concern.
Sure - some of them work in an odd place called Bentonville 😷

Back