Oil Smell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deep thought.

Have you ever smelled your clean fresh oil out of the bottle?

I have a stash of different oils and weights naturally because I'm an oil snob and a member of BitOG. Some bought on sale and such. The following is a description of the smells encountered.

AMSOIL OE 0w20.
Wow. That's a strong petroleum smell right there. Straight up oil smell. No messing around.

NAPA 5w30 conventional.
Ok. Now I smell petroleum but I sense a hint of something else. Almost like a hint of chemical smell.

NAPA 5w30 HM synthetic
Nice. It's like 50/50 petroleum and chemical. Like a nice brew.

NAPA 0w20 Synthetic
Only a slight whiff of oil. Mostly smells like chemicals but not overly strong.

Redline 5w30
Now that's different. This smells sweet. Almost like someone put cake icing in this bottle with the oil.

The above descriptions are based entirely on my nose and my nose only. (I was bored).

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO Taste Test?????????????
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by Fawteen
I don't believe I've ever been that bored.

...‚...‚...‚...‚ this def' has to be the most bizarre post yet (the OP's) in my short time on BITOG!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oldhp
WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO Taste Test?????????????
cheers3.gif

Don't encourage, he's already pushing the envelope....

I remember old German Castrol smelled like gummy bears.
I remember smelling leaded gas as a kid as well. Knocked me on my behind, I was flying high that day.

I've noticed that Magnatec has a very "additive rich" smell in a way that hypoid has a sort of smell. Don't know if that's the clinging molecules or not but I'm using it in my Ecoboost truck and SUV. UOAs here seem to indicate it does well with EB engines.

Amsoil 75w90 gear lube - wow, this smells like how grandpa described the Jerries hitting them with mustard gas back in 1918. Best not take a 2nd wiff or I might not survive.
Shaeffers 5w30 - reminds me of Channel #5 - 30 cents of ingredients in a 50 cent bottle and sold for $59
Redline 10w40- sort of like Italian shoes; lots of thought and posturing with a bit of arm waving, but falls part after heavy use.
Motul 300 - The only true Motor Oil comes from the Champagne region in France. Anything else is just American Sparkling wine.

Now that I think about it...my Chevron Supreme has a slight pecan or almond whiff to it, pairs well with a nice white wine like a Zin'. ...
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I smelled some Valvoline Advanced tonight before pouring it into my Tacoma, and I liked it.
grin.gif

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
I smelled some Valvoline Advanced tonight before pouring it into my Tacoma, and I liked it.
grin.gif

This actually gives me a bizz idea... maybe I can shuttle people around town to all the different shops smelling fluids, sorta like a tour of wine country 'cept for auto fluids??

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
grin.gif

Soon in an area close to you oil sniffing rooms!

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Amsoil 75w90 gear lube - wow, this smells like how grandpa described the Jerries hitting them with mustard gas back in 1918. Best not take a 2nd wiff or I might not survive.
Shaeffers 5w30 - reminds me of Channel #5 - 30 cents of ingredients in a 50 cent bottle and sold for $59
Redline 10w40- sort of like Italian shoes; lots of thought and posturing with a bit of arm waving, but falls part after heavy use.
Motul 300 - The only true Motor Oil comes from the Champagne region in France. Anything else is just American Sparkling wine.

I prefer the Prosecco sparkling motor oil from Veneto in Italy...say c-ciao to engine wear and your brain cells all at once!

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Now that I think about it...my Chevron Supreme has a slight pecan or almond whiff to it, pairs well with a nice white wine like a Zin'. ...
[Linked Image]

Hey...how the heck did you get ahold of my HS graduation picture?!?!?!
You'd never guess that my mom sewed that shirt for me, right??

BTW...kudos to the OP for kicking off the most fun BITOG thread in a long time!

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

BTW...kudos to the OP for kicking off the most fun BITOG thread in a long time!

Thank you! Thank you!

BTW, I'm going to need Blackstone, Dyson and all the other Labs to add a sniff test column to UOA reports.

I can see it now, "This oil smells of sludge, burned piston rings and failure".

I only smell for dilution.
I also only look in the used oil container for streaks and brown color. If it's reddish black - not bathtub bubbly and non-streaky / not too thin, I'm good-to-go for another run.

I love the smell of very old high mileage Japanese gear oil. Prefer Differential oils.
Rumor was whale sperm was an additive.

Wiki: In the late 18th and early 19th centuries, sperm oil was prized as a lubricant for its low viscosity and stability.

MaxLife ATF has a distinctive aroma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back