The "smell" of new oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
GMAN,

At room temperature, the 4 cSt POA and 2 and 4 cSt esters all look and smell the same.

Now, if you heat the PAO above 100 C, it has more of 3-in-1 smell to it, while the ester(s) have a fruity smell.

I agree with Tery, Lube Control has the most unique Apricot(ty) aroma I have come across.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
At room temperature, the 4 cSt POA and 2 and 4 cSt esters all look and smell the same.

How would you describe their odor at room temp?

Also, what is your take on companies actually putting some sort of fragrance in their oils? Do they do that, or is the odor of the finished motor oil a product of the base oil and additives?

G-Man,

"How would you describe their odor at room temp?"

The best description of the aroma I can come close too for nonadditized synthetics would be that of Processed Olive Oil (or would that be called, "non-extra virgin/non-virgin Olive Oil").
grin.gif

Most of the aroma (boutique??? as Satterfi so succinctly describes) does come from the additives. I cannot confirm this, but at one time Gulf was said to be marketing an oil directed at females in which a perfume was added to make it more appealing to the female segment.

IMHO, if I had a fully formulated oil for the mass market and it just plain stunk, I think I would add some Liz Clayborn, cross-gender perfume to it.

Edit: The Elizbeth Taylor series of perfumes can also be used for men OR women so that might be a viable alternative.
lol.gif
offtopic.gif

[ January 23, 2003, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

This may be getting OT a bit, but K1 kerosene, the super-clear grade used in kerosene heaters and lamps, has recently started coming through with dye in it. While the dye is supposed to be entirely neutral, a lot of people are finding the dyed stuff greatly reduces wick life or requires much more frequent cleaning - a buddy who heats with kerosene is actually taking his drums down to the aeroport and buying jet fuel to get non-dyed kero!

Good rule of thumb don't put any chemicals in oil that aren't necessary for them to do their job!

quote:

Originally posted by YZF150:
Heating oil, too, which is basically #2 diesel oil, is dyed red.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back