What would cause motor oil to smell like Acetone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it has been mentioned in some threads that certain base oil have certain odors. Sweet, bitter, or fishy like PEA. I opened a bottle of new Edge EP today and it had an over powering acetone/finger nail polish remover like smell. Does anyone know what makes this smell? Is it possible the PAO or Esters or some type of additive in edge ep? I opened up and took a smell of the bottle I use to top up the taurus of the old edge with ti and it had a hint of this smell as well but not over powering.

I know there are lots of people who "smell" the oil before pouring it in, I usually don't but this I could smell 2 feet away. What are some other oil odors? I know people have commented how most synthetics smell sweet.

Aromatic compounds can be very difficult to isolate. Sometimes a blended product can pick up some very unusual smells purely by accident, and the MSDS won't be of any help there.

Case in point: there's an Einszett gasket/rubber conditioner I occasionally use on the door and window seals of my cars. It smells just like pickles, yet there is nothing related to pickles in it.

Remember the old Dodge "Grab life by the horns" ad with Jeremy Mayfield...his date he was picking up was getting ready for the date by taking a bath with Mopar motor oil in it...she smelled the bottle before pouring it in.(and used gasoline for perfume,but didnt smell that).

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Remember the old Dodge "Grab life by the horns" ad with Jeremy Mayfield...his date he was picking up was getting ready for the date by taking a bath with Mopar motor oil in it...she smelled the bottle before pouring it in.(and used gasoline for perfume,but didnt smell that).

Jeremy mayfield was sniffin more than just oil and gas..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back