Oil recycling: Help me get a better understanding

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm from Greece. About 10 years ago, one of the two big oil companies (with their own refineries) named MOTOR OIL (What a fine name this is!) announced that they would invest over 200 million USD to modernize and expand their refining facilities with a vast recycling unit. I remember from the newspaper, that up to that year there was only one recycling unit so big in Texas and that the productivity factor would be 70%. 10 tons of used motor oil would give 7 tons of basic oil. I do not know about the use of the rest 30%.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I just wonder what happens to the A/T fluid, brake fluid etc....that gets dumped in the oil recycle bin? \

ATF will blend in with motor oil, brake fluid won't(it does but it doesn't cleanly mix in). From what a Safety-Kleen and Ashbury rep told me years ago, ATF/gear oil/brake fluid is OK to be poured into used oil, but not chlorinated solvents. CA banned chlorinated brake cleaner mostly for that reason and oil will be tested for perc/trichloroethylene.

I wouldn't be surprised if Safety-Kleen uses a vacuum distillation process to flash off any volatile solvents and non-petroleum contaminants.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad

The "sign ze paper" routine is news to me; never experienced it. It might be some kind of control / know the user / thing, because I know for a fact that certain ... ahem ... "legitimate businesses" based in northeastern US whom operate hazardous waste collection services were caught dumping dioxins into tankers of gasoline instead of doing the expensive true disposal routine. People would pump the gas into their cars and burn the cancerous toxins as they drove. I might be able to find a link or three if anyone wants, it was in the news as they got caught doing it. Gas stations in the New York / New Jersey / as far as Montreal were getting the fuel.

See:

https://www.nytimes.com/1983/06/05/nyregion/illegal-dumping-of-toxins-laid-to-organized-crime.html

It's not like they check your ID. So I usually list myself as Jake Elwood, 1060 W Addison....

Originally Posted By: newbe46
Think of it as "recycled toilet paper", it's hard to convince consumer it's good value.

My workplace proudly uses recycled toilet paper. It kind of hurt because it is not the nice and soft virgin fiber I'm used to at home.

Recycled base stock is identical to the refined crude though.

Last edited:
I recall some places, probably based on location, required/requested name and stuff because they didn't want businesses to recycle their stuff there but only for retail customers. Businesses would have to coordinate their own recycling done. I believe there may even be a cost to the retailer for the oil pickup. Apparently not like folks wanting used french fry oil for their diesels.

I just give the used oil to a friend who used to be able to get $1.20 a gallon out of it. He has a fleet of various diesel commercial trucks so my 2 gallon contribution here and there really isn't anything.

Now that oil prices are down, he gets more money selling it to a local garage for their shop heater.

Doesn't NASCAR use recycled oil? Lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back