Oil Recon Mission at the Rolex 24 in Daytona!

Hi gents, took the traditional trip to the Rolex 24 IMSA race at Daytona with my son this year and we decided to go through the garage and perform some "Recon" on oil types used by various teams... For all you Mobil 1 fans I'm sorry to say it is no longer a popular choice whatsoever with race teams... out of the 10-12 teams we visited and talked to only 2 were using M1, the new Corvettes of course but as you'll see in my terrible pic (reflection in the phone and garage window) they use an exclusive 0W50 "Race use" only formula.

Most popular oil amongst the various teams: MOTUL

Second most Popular oil= Off the shelf Pennzoil 0W40!

Third most popular (mostly german teams like Porsche and BMW)= LiquiMoly

Here are a few pics for your viewing pleasure.

Attachments

• IMG_1483.JPG
    IMG_1483.JPG
    222.9 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1487.JPG
    IMG_1487.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1488.JPG
    IMG_1488.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1489.JPG
    IMG_1489.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1490.JPG
    IMG_1490.JPG
    183.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1491.JPG
    IMG_1491.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1493.JPG
    IMG_1493.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 98
Just because they have brand logos on the cars or motorcycles doesn't mean that's what they use. I worked with a guy who was racing contract manager for a major oil company. He told the racers that he didn't care what they use as long as they have his logos and products there for the public to see.

Just because they have brand logos on the cars or motorcycles doesn't mean that's what they use. I worked with a guy who was racing contract manager for a major oil company. He told the racers that he didn't care what they use as long as they have his logos and products there for the public to see.
That is a fact, and being that I worked for and built engines for a major IMSA BMW team I'm well aware of that... ;)

Man, thought for sure I'd get some feedback from all the Mobil 1 worshippers on here! I guess silence is virtue! :)

Proof yet again, M1 products are not what they used to be! :)

Man, thought for sure I'd get some feedback from all the Mobil 1 worshippers on here! I guess silence is virtue! :)

Proof yet again, M1 products are not what they used to be! :)
Lol, Not sure which teams, (not Corvette) but I saw a few Mobil 1 stickers on cars on the Peacock stream. It's around. But I've mostly only known sponsored teams to run it, anyway. I've been around the Indy 500 for many, many years and pretty much only the teams sponsored by Mobil 1 run it. But one thing I do know from friends in the industry. Over the years, I've generally found the Mobil 1 sponsored teams run Mobil 1, and Pennzoil sponsored teams run Pennzoil. Valvoline runs Valvoline. But others tended to run oils other than what sponsored them. Now, Pennzoil is the official motor oil of the NTT Indycar Series, but I'm sure if someone has another sponsor they have the option.

My nephew builds Honda drag racing engines and parts and also midget engines. He runs either Valvoline racing oil or Driven and those are what he recommends. I asked him which he prefers and he said whichever he can get for a better deal, but he loves them both. He's got customer teams sponsored by several oil companies but they mostly still run these two oils, no matter who the sponsor is.

Btw, he thinks that Honda and Chevy (Ilmor) have specified straight 0 weight oil in the engines. He's going to check on that, but he has worked closely with HPD and remembers them telling him that. If so, then so much for the heavy oil argument. Lol.

His company also supplied the engines for the Indy Autonomous challenge. I'm asking him what they run. They are turbocharged 4 cylinders and they put out somewhere just north of 400hp, which is similar to his midget engine.

Here is the zero weight from Driven:

1643683638949.jpg

Last edited:
More interesting stuff from my nephew the racing engine builder.....

He said an Indycar engine has to be preheated because the tolerances are so tight that they'll have trouble even turning over if cold. Thus the 0 weight oil. He's checking to see what they run for racing, but for sure straight 0 weight for qualifying.

His Indy Autonomous Challenge cars run 5w40 racing oil. And Valvoline is the series sponsor, so they all get VR1.

Hi gents, took the traditional trip to the Rolex 24 IMSA race at Daytona with my son this year and we decided to go through the garage and perform some "Recon" on oil types used by various teams... For all you Mobil 1 fans I'm sorry to say it is no longer a popular choice whatsoever with race teams... out of the 10-12 teams we visited and talked to only 2 were using M1, the new Corvettes of course but as you'll see in my terrible pic (reflection in the phone and garage window) they use an exclusive 0W50 "Race use" only formula.

Most popular oil amongst the various teams: MOTUL

Second most Popular oil= Off the shelf Pennzoil 0W40!

Third most popular (mostly german teams like Porsche and BMW)= LiquiMoly

Here are a few pics for your viewing pleasure.
As a Pennzoil guy, I always look to see who's using it too. I did notice on the Wayne Taylor Racing machines, they had a Pennzoil sticker on the rear wing and a Motul sticker on the front fender.

Motul is a series sponsor, so every car will have their sticker whether it runs their oil or not. M1, Pennzoil, L-M, and Idemitsu have all been allowed to play as well.

VP Racing and Michelin are sponsors, and exclusive suppliers, so every car will be using their fuel, and tires, respectively.

Motul is a series sponsor, so every car will have their sticker whether it runs their oil or not. M1, Pennzoil, L-M, and Idemitsu have all been allowed to play as well.

VP Racing and Michelin are sponsors, and exclusive suppliers, so every car will be using their fuel, and tires, respectively.
Note my pics of what oils were actually in the garages and I also spoke to several teams while there. In racing, you never believe the stickers ;)

More interesting stuff from my nephew the racing engine builder.....

He said an Indycar engine has to be preheated because the tolerances are so tight that they'll have trouble even turning over if cold. Thus the 0 weight oil. He's checking to see what they run for racing, but for sure straight 0 weight for qualifying.

His Indy Autonomous Challenge cars run 5w40 racing oil. And Valvoline is the series sponsor, so they all get VR1.
F1 engine needs to be preheated before starting also

Back