Oil recommendations for Subaru 2.4T

Presumably a Subaru OEM filter is the best bet, right?
I buy filters from Flatiron, these are the only ones I trust in Subaru engines, since Subaru USA had problems with the blue ones and have sourcing issues for replacements. These are JDM filters.

I use to own a 07' WRX and am familiar with the old Subaru 2.0 and 2.5 turbo engine issues. What actually did the old turbo Subarus in was the oil pickup tube was susceptible to cracking. So if it cracked, it would starve the engine of oil.

Google WRX oil pickup and you'll see plenty of improved aftermarket offerings.
Killa B, anyone? 🤣

It does however have about 760ppm of dimer moly, which is magnitudes higher than other alternatives. If it meets the mfr’s recommendations, it’s as good an option as any.
I am sure that it is good oil. I don't know that other oils are deficient in dimer moly. What I do know, is that five quarts cost $40. Great oils meeting spec can be had for $23-25 all day long on Amazon and WM.

Stick with a quality 0W-20 oil. I'd go 3000-3500 miles oil change intervals. These new Subarus with direct injection have very high fuel dilution. For comparison I have a 2021 outback with 2.5 non turbo engine. I ran 4800-5000 miles using Amsoil signature which is a one of the best oils out there. That oil took a beating. Over 5% dilution. Anybody recommending 6k mile oil changes on Subaru DI especially turbo is nuts. Just to solidify my point. Look up any post 2019 2.5 or 2.4 Subaru oil report and all of them have sky high dilution. I recommend you stick with oem, wix, or amsoil filters only. As they have the correct oil bypass rating.

I live in northern IN so hot summers

2o7975.jpg

Stick with a quality 0W-20 oil. I'd go 3000-3500 miles oil change intervals. These new Subarus with direct injection have very high fuel dilution. For comparison I have a 2021 outback with 2.5 non turbo engine. I ran 4800-5000 miles using Amsoil signature which is a one of the best oils out there. That oil took a beating. Over 5% dilution. Anybody recommending 6k mile oil changes on Subaru DI especially turbo is nuts. Just to solidify my point. Look up any post 2019 2.5 or 2.4 Subaru oil report and all of them have sky high dilution. I recommend you stick with oem, wix, or amsoil filters only. As they have the correct oil bypass rating.
Any DI engine can have high fuel dilution; any car driven more than maybe 20% city should likely start with shorter OCIs and monitor dilution; it’s been shared with me by a reputable source that 5% or less is not great but also not super concerning. An hour-plus highway drive should help remove some fuel during the OCI.

The biggest reason I’d start with shorter OCIs to establish a trend on fuel is for the turbos- if the oil drops out of grade the turbos will be the first to suffer.

As far as the bypass goes, there’s at least a dozen Subaru-specific filter threads, mostly filled with scare tactics and guesses, but no proof that anything untoward happens when you’re using a quality filter regardless of the BP pressure. @ZeeOSix has provided lots of data instead of emotions showing why this is not a big problem as some would like you to believe. I’ve used Wix 7055, Fram XG7317, XG3593A, and likely a few others for well over 700,000 total miles across 6 Subarus (EJs, an EZ, and an FB) without a single engine failure or problem.

Ok, so what are your thoughts on doing Redline 5w-20. Its pour point is -49° so it’ll be perfectly fine for our winters here. We usually only go below zero for a week or two a year. I’ll other specs seem fine. Will probably use the Fill or Puralator filter.

Ok, so what are your thoughts on doing Redline 5w-20. Its pour point is -49° so it’ll be perfectly fine for our winters here. We usually only go below zero for a week or two a year. I’ll other specs seem fine. Will probably use the Fill or Puralator filter.
High diluters spoken here don't need expensive oils. They need more frequent oil changes.
5w30 is the ticket for year-round and change every 3-4k. Filter can stay on for two oil changes.

I do 3k oil changes and change my filter every 6k.....every 2nd oil change.

High diluters spoken here don't need expensive oils. They need more frequent oil changes. If the manufacturer recommends any combination of ILSAC / GF-6 / SP / Carbon Neutral or Dexos, then that's what I would feed it for the warranty duration.
5w30 is the ticket for year-round and change every 3-4k. Filter can stay on for two oil changes.

Triple_Se7en said:
High diluters spoken here don't need expensive oils.
They need more frequent oil changes. If the manufacturer recommends any combination of ILSAC / GF-6 / SP / Carbon Neutral or Dexos, then that's what I would feed it for the warranty duration.

Does quoting yourself make something twice as true? :LOL:

Within warranty, any good 0W-20 D1G3 oil. Once warranty is up, M1 ESP 0W-30/5W-30. Take that FA24F on a nice long drive weekly to try to flash off some fuel dilution.

Back