Help Choosing an Oil: 2002 Volvo S60 2.4T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there BITOGers,

I have fallen down the rabbit hole and need your help! I recently purchased a 2002 Volvo S60 2.4T with 14,000 miles on it. The previous owner (older lady) drove it short distance around town. A Castrol dino oil was used in it with Volvo brand filters its whole life. I was told the oil was changed regularly - every 3-4 months. I think that might be optimistic, but the P.O. is fanatical about maintenance...

Anyway, I started looking for what would be a good oil to use in the car (my first engine with a turbocharger) and found myself here reading about German oils and trying to learn what the seemingly endless different acronyms mean. So, I seek some guidance. I will start with the basic questions from the "What oil should I use?" sticky:

1. What kind of vehicle do you have:
2002 Volvo S60 2.4T

2. What does your owner's manual say:
Engine Oil: Meeting minimum ILSAC specification GF-2, including ACEA A1, API SJ, SJ/CF and SJ/Energy Conserving.
Your Volvo has been certified to standards using ILSAC oil specifications GF-2 5W-30.
Oil additives must not be used.
When temperatures exceed 86F in your area, Volvo recommends, for the protection of your engine, that you use a heavier weight oil, such as SAE 10w-30.
Intervals: Oil and oil filter changes should be made at 7,500 mile intervals.

3. Where do you live:
Southeast United States - Georgia. Hot and humid.

4. How do you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?):
I drive pretty equally between easy/hard and fast/slow. Leaning slightly to the hard and fast side, however.

5. What is your daily drive like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?):
Daily commute is roughly 6 miles and 15 minutes one way in the city. Longer drives on weekends, with more highway miles.

6. Whether your car has any known problems:
No known problems at the time.

Other: I would like to switch over to synthetic oil from the dino in there now - do I need to do anything besides just changing the oil/filter? I had read about the German Castrol 0w-30 (lead me here) and was thinking about switching to it - or rather the 0w-40 since it seems to be replacing it. However, I believe this oil is an A3/B3 designated oil whereas the manual specs A1 - I don't really understand the difference, so would that be the wrong oil to use? Also, I'm not sure if that specific oil is ILSAC GF-2 certified, or whatever the current, superseding cert would be - does this matter? What other oils do you all recommend? I am comfortable paying the typical prices I see for the 0w-40 (~$26 per 5 qt @ Uncle Wallys), but prefer to not go much higher than that price range (let's say ~$30/5qt). No preference to in-store vs online purchasing. Oh, I have Mahle filters on order and will be using those.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!
-jrtew

You could use something like M1 0w-40 or Castrol 0w-40, or the Pennzoil equivalents. Any A3/B4 oil will do fine, despite the A1 recommendation. A1 is technically obsolete, with A5/B5 being A1 "plus extra," let's say. Right now, Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra Platinum 5w-30 are your simplest choices for A5/B5. Without getting into a long story, M1 and Castrol Edge would do it, too, even they don't explicitly list the specification.

However, if it were me, I'd be leaning towards the M1 0w-40, Castrol 0w-40, or one of the Pennzoil A3/B4 oils along with an OEM filter or the equivalent, like the Mahles you mentioned. A3/B4 is no problem; it's a bit more robust, and a bit thicker at operating temperatures, which isn't really any concern, other than a slight drop in fuel economy that you'll never be able to measure.

The S60 2.4t in my signature was sludged pretty bad when I started taking care of it. I stuck with with 6 month OCI's (about 4000-4500 miles) for 2.5 years and am just now stepping it up to offical 5k OCI's. It's driven about like yours. Short trips during the week with more highway miles on the weekend.

I just use Mobil 1 because of their rebates. They have one now actually.
All in all it's been a great car for her. I love it. We did the timing belt, ATF change (Mobil 3309/ Toyota T-IV), and PCV system change as preventative maintenance. We replaced the DNP switch, fuel pump and (very recently) the throttle body because they went out... Lol. The TB code went away, but now I think it has a vacuum leak because I disturbed something. Oh well. I still can't complain.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Mobil 1 0W-40 and OEM filter. Factory service intervals.

This - works well in both my Volvos. UOA to prove it several years back.

You could try the Castrol 0W40. That seems to do well in the XC.

The Mahle filters are a good choice. I buy them ten at a time from IPD.

We can talk transmission fluid too, when you're ready...

I've got 190,000 on the T5, and 218,000 on the XC.

Last edited:
I've used various flavors of Mobil1 in the cross country for the last 150,000 miles. For the most part it was the standard 5w30 full synthetic up to about 160,000 miles, followed by 5w30 high mileage, and now 0w40 European formula for an added comfort factor while towing. This used oil analysis compares M1 0w40 on the left to m1 5w30 high mileage on the right. Other than the add pack items, there doesn't appear to be a huge difference. A good 5w30 is probably all you need.

My 2002 V70 2.4T gets Mobil 1 5-30 HM. On the Mobil 1 site, they suggest 5-30 for this car. Six months or 5,000 miles for me.
I did an UOA years ago with my 2001 V70 T5M with around 8,400 miles using Mobil 1 5-30 HM, and Blackstone said to go 10,000 miles. I'm happy with the 5-30 stuff.

Thanks for all the info and suggestions everyone, I appreciate it!

Originally Posted By: Astro14

I think I will give the Mobil 1 0W-40 a try first, especially since there is a rebate for it right now - thanks for the heads up on that dlundblad. After that, I would like try the Castrol down the road, too. Re: Transmission fluid - I actually ordered a case of the Mobil 3309 ATF fluid yesterday. I hope that is a solid choice? Also, thanks for the link to your UOA, Astro14 - I actually had already bookmarked it during my initial research!

Originally Posted By: Astro_Guy
I've used various flavors of Mobil1 in the cross country for the last 150,000 miles. For the most part it was the standard 5w30 full synthetic up to about 160,000 miles, followed by 5w30 high mileage, and now 0w40 European formula for an added comfort factor while towing. This used oil analysis compares M1 0w40 on the left to m1 5w30 high mileage on the right. Other than the add pack items, there doesn't appear to be a huge difference. A good 5w30 is probably all you need.

Thank your for that link, Astro_Guy - I was more iffy about the Mobil 0W-40 since it sounds like it was recently changed. But it seems like the general consensus is it is still solid stuff.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
All in all it's been a great car for her. I love it. We did the timing belt, ATF change (Mobil 3309/ Toyota T-IV), and PCV system change as preventative maintenance. We replaced the DNP switch, fuel pump and (very recently) the throttle body because they went out... Lol. The TB code went away, but now I think it has a vacuum leak because I disturbed something. Oh well. I still can't complain.

dlundblad, glad to hear you have enjoyed your S60. I made a big parts order this past weekend, planning on doing some preventative maintenance:
  • Timing belt, along with the tensioner and idler pulley
  • Water pump
  • Serpentine Belt and drive belt tensioner
  • B4 Servo Update on transmission
  • Change coolent (Pentosin NF)
  • Change Brake Fluid (ATE TYP 200)
  • Change Power Steering Fluid (Pentosin CHF202)

Also had the dreaded "Alarm System Service Required" CEL, so I pulled off the front bumper cover and right headlight to get that silly Siren Module out, then hack-sawed it open to find that the battery had already leaked all over the circuit board and ruined it. So, I ordered that ~$210 part. What a stupid design that "module" is.

Back to Engine Oil: If I wanted to start doing some UOA testing, would there be any reason to send a sample of the current oil to Blackstone, even though I am not sure of the specific oil, or how many miles on it, etc?

Watching this thread closely. Just picked up 2004 S60 2.5T AWD. I believe seller put Mobil1 5W/30 in before selling to me. Previous car was 2002 V70 2.4 N/A that I ran Redline 5W/40 in year round. Ran like butter until it was totaled just over 260,000 miles. Thinking Redline again, but this thread will probably make me wiser...

Originally Posted By: Astro_Guy

It's hard to argue against this logic, although I've seen some pretty nasty PCV systems with a 5w30 synthetic diet. Generally, there's no price difference between them and an A3/ B4.

Last edited:
In my humble opinion, I would say to keep watch out for leaks if you switch to synthetic. This happened to me when switching to synthetic, I discovered a slight leak in the spark plug well, due to a faulty valve cover seal. I have since gone back to 20 W 50, and the leaks seem to have disappeared. The car does not have very many miles, but it is a 2002. Sounds like you got a great car, have fun.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
It's hard to argue against this logic, although I've seen some pretty nasty PCV systems with a 5w30 synthetic diet. Generally, there's no price difference between them and an A3/ B4.

Huh, I would have thought that for sure clogging the PCV system was from being fed a steady diet of dino oil...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AmoryBlaine
In my humble opinion, I would say to keep watch out for leaks if you switch to synthetic. This happened to me when switching to synthetic, I discovered a slight leak in the spark plug well, due to a faulty valve cover seal. I have since gone back to 20 W 50, and the leaks seem to have disappeared. The car does not have very many miles, but it is a 2002. Sounds like you got a great car, have fun.

Armory, thanks for the heads-up. I think that is a good idea to keep a close eye out for any leaks when I switch over. I'll especially watch the area where you had your leak, just in case.

I stopped by a Walmart this afternoon and picked up a jug of the Mobil 1 0W-40 and filled out one of the $12 online rebates for it. While I was in there, I noticed they had two of the Made in Germany Castrol 0W-40 on the shelf, along with the newer Belgian stuff. For some reason I felt like I had found some hidden treasure and impulsively bought the two jugs. Did not realize it was cheaper than the Mobil 1 ($22.97 vs $25.47), so that was nice.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

+1

Engine: Petro-Canada Duron 0W30. When that's gone it will be M1 0W30 or 0W40.
Transmission: Cooler line exchange every 20k with Pennzoil Full Syn HM ATF - has JWS 3309 Approval, plus remote filter a la Astro14
PS: Flushed, installed Wix inline filter, CHF 11s drain and fill every 20k

Sam

You are all set for a while
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back