Oil recommendations for 2013 Toyota Yaris 1.3L - 2nz-fe in Australia

It's a real question for me, Im just trying to learn about motor oil so I can make informed choices as I have no idea. I realise the little toyota motor isnt that fussy but the owners manual did throw me a bit because it suggests a wide range of oils as "ok" but "recommends 10w30". So from everyones input I can see that any robust ACEA A3/B4 5w30 10w30 or 5w40 will be good in it. Thanks again SR5 for providing so much detail, its helping me to learn and I really appreciate it

Hi all, Im looking to find an oil for my new to me little daily commute Toyota Yaris 1.3 (2nz-fe). Its a 2013 model with 50K km on the clock. Ill be putting 120km on it most weekdays so want to get a decent oil for longish OCI and hopefully stick to it.
10 plus years ago I had this motor in an early model echo and I tried various oils in it incl. Castrol edge 5w30 and Penrite HPR5 5W40, but my memory isn't clear with what I used most often.
I was wondering if the Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 would be ok in the 1.3 yaris or is it just too thick. I always have it around as that what Ive had in my 4.7 v8 LCruiser for years now.
Looking at Supercheap Auto the other day, I was blown away by the choices.
Any recommendations out there would he much appreciated. The user manual mentions 5w30 and even 20w50!! but the recommended is 10w30.
Cheers
Drew
My vote would be a good 10w40 or 15w40, it probably doesn't even get cold enough there to require a 5w and a 10/15w will have better HTHS and viscosity retention. Do they sell Valvoline durablend over there? That'd be my go-to, pretty much the same as their 10w40 Maxlife (probably without seal conditioner) which is tough as nails.

My vote would be a good 10w40 or 15w40, it probably doesn't even get cold enough there to require a 5w and a 10/15w will have better HTHS and viscosity retention. Do they sell Valvoline durablend over there? That'd be my go-to, pretty much the same as their 10w40 Maxlife (probably without seal conditioner) which is tough as nails.

Yes we can use 15W40 year around, and Castrol GTX 15W40 UltraClean semi-synthetic (SN/CF, A3/B3) is often on sale at very good prices.

Yes we still get DuraBlend, but a bit hard to find, as it's more wholesale to garages now. Their regular retail semi-synthetic is called EngineArmour, but it's mostly the same, when I asked Valvoline on the phone once.

Right now it's on sale at AutoBarn in Oz until 24 Dec.
Valvoline EngineArmour semi-synthetics in the 6L jug,
All 30% Off at $35 for 6L,
15W40 API SN/CF, ACEA A3/B4.
10W40 API SN/CF, ACEA A3/B4,
10W30 API SP, ILSAC GF-6A,
5W30 API SP, GF-6A.

Two of those bigger 6L (6.3 quarts) jugs, would do the OP for 3 oil changes. I've used a lot of Valvoline 10W40 semi-synthetic over the years, a fine drop.

Last edited:
Repco had Castrol 5W-30 A3/B4 on sale 40% off a couple of weeks ago, so I got a 5 litre pack. I'll use the last of my freebee stash next month in my Airwave...then I'll have to pay for oil.

Repco had Castrol 5W-30 A3/B4 on sale 40% off a couple of weeks ago, so I got a 5 litre pack. I'll use the last of my freebee stash next month in my Airwave...then I'll have to pay for oil.
Hi Silk/Motu, 40%off is a good deal.

Reviving a 6 month old thread, but what the hell. I have the same car, and it is a mechanics dream. So easy to work on, and will run on any oil. I run it on the cheapest oil I can find that is SL rated or better in any viscosity from 5w30 up to 15w50. Usually using gulf western premium energy 10w30 or gulf western top dog xdo 15w40. Doesn't burn any oil, with 150K km on the clock so far. Only thing I've done to it besides usual servicing is change the serpentine belt recently.

my toyota yaris 1.5 in the hot desert southwest (today’s high will be 44c/111f) gets 5w30 semisyn (kendall, valvoline, most recently tgmo) every two years which is about 2,000 miles. these little beasts are indestructible.

my toyota yaris 1.5 in the hot desert southwest (today’s high will be 44c/111f) gets 5w30 semisyn (kendall, valvoline, most recently tgmo) every two years which is about 2,000 miles. these little beasts are indestructible.
LOL tell that to my cousin who lives in San Bernadino!

Back