Oil recommendations for 2 Hyundai Accents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I am new here. This is my first post.

Here is the situation. Within 3 weeks my wife and I both purchased 2009 Hyundai Accents. Both cars were purchased as Hyundai Certified Cars with low mileage. We got the balance of the 5 year/60000 mile bumper to bumper warranty and the balance of the 10 year 100,000 mile power train warranty. Both cars need to last a very long time (my previous '94 BMW 3 Series saw 194K when I traded, and my '89 BMW 3 Series saw 250K.) I baby a car- my wife...not so much. I believe in "over maintaining" a car to reduce breakdowns and to increase longevity.

My car: 2009 Hyundai Accent GS 3 Door, Auto Trans. Purchased with 1600 miles on it. Oil Recommendation per Hyundai is 5W20 GL3. I drive 85% highway, approximately 24,000 mile per year, at speeds up to 85 MPH daily (although I get there gently.) The car has 5700 miles on it now.

Oil change history- yes, I have one already:

Oil changed at dealer as part of the certification process
1600 miles- Bulk Castrol 5W20 Dino OEM filter
1625 miles- 3/10 Mobil 1 5W20 Mobil 1 Synthetic Filter (Mobil Quick Lube)
4500 miles- 4/10 Castrol Syntec 5W20 OEM Filter (Dealership)

The dealership says they used to carry Mobil 1 but that it got too expensive. The cost was the same between the dealership and Mobil Quick Lube. We live in a condo and we are not allowed to perform vehicle maintenance here, or I would do it myself. I did notice that the engine seems quieter with the Castrol Syntec than the Mobil 1.

Wife's car: same as mine, different color. Driven 95% short distances in town stop and go. Car rarely sees 60 MPH. Driven approximately 9,000 miles annually.

Oil Change History:

Oil Changed at dealership as part of the Certification Process
4500 Miles-Bulk Castrol 5W20 Dino OEM Filter
4525 Miles- 2/10 Mobil 1 5W20 plus Mobil Synthetic Filter (Mobil Quick Lube)

I usually avoid the dealership for service- my wife hates this. Her family has always gone back to the dealership exclusively, in case of a warranty dispute, one can say "You are the only people who have worked on the car- make it right." Given the similar cost of maintenance, she may have a point.

I can bring my own oil to the dealership, if necessary. Her car, obviously gets maintained for severe service 3 months/3750 miles as recommended by Hyundai. I am considering the same due to Florida heat and high speed driving. I am not so concerned with extended drain intervals as I am with running these cars as long as possible.

OK, that's it. I'm open for all ideas and comments.

Hyundai Guy

Last edited:
welcome2.gif
to BITOG

Since the service is the same price and you have all the warranty stuff, I would agree with your wife. Continue with what the dealer is using.

I missed the question, is it to use the dealership or a private garage?

I have a 2006 Kia rio same engine and transmission, both are good little cars for the money. I have 85k miles with a similar commute as yours a fellow of the Kia forums has 290k miles.

If you are going to change at 4k mile intervals just use any quality dino and the garage you prefer.

I think you could have probably gone more than 25 miles on that Castrol. I think that having had four crankcases full of oil in less than 6,000 miles is insane.

Here's the deal, you have purchased a very economical car. If you pick any correct weight oil, and elect an easy-to-remember OCI of 5,000 miles, the fact is that the car will fall apart around an engine which still runs, unless you suffer a rare catastrophic failure.

Even this is extreme over-maintenance and may not really make sense for this car. M1 is an awesome long-term choice -- but you sound maybe like you are an Ultra type of guy.

I was basically looking for oil recommendations, and whether my car needs to be maintained under the severe service schedule.

I also noticed very few people here seem gung ho on Syntec.
54.gif

TomYoung: I didn't realize that the oil had been changed before purchase until the dealership told me when I went back at 4500 miles.

Last edited:
On your car, with almost all highway driving, any oil will go a full 7500 miles, which should be the 'normal' interval. Car will last as long as you want it to at that interval.

On your wife's stick to the 3750 interval, due to the constant short trips. If she's happy taking it to the dealer, let her, it's as good as anywhere else if you can't do it yourself.

Whatever you do, stick to the man. recommended intervals, to preserve the warraties.

The Syntec is a fine oil. If, and that's a big IF, you have a quality dealer and the price is right, continue using them. Nothing wrong with a quality dealer and nothing wrong with using Castrol, both dino and Syntec.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
On your car, with almost all highway driving, any oil will go a full 7500 miles

I have to disagree. Only Syn past 5k. My Amsoil ASM at 15k was short on TBN.

[/quote]I have to disagree. Only Syn past 5k. My Amsoil ASM at 15k was short on TBN. [/quote]

I'm sorry, Im a bit lost here..ASM? TBN?

ASM - Amsoil's synthetic 0W-20 engine oil, designed for 25k drains.

TBN - Total Base Number, amount of alkalinity left in an oil to combat the acidity of used oil...basically, the amount of 'life' the oil has left.

Tater,

Thanks for the link. I wasn't aware of this. Its good information to have. The plan (tentatively) is to use the following schedule:

Mine: Castrol Syntec 5W20 OEM Filter 7500 miles or 6 months, I'll hit the 7500 miles first. Still seems a bit long, but I'll give it a shot. I am still very tempted to go 3750 on this as well, even with the Syntec.

Hers: Castrol Syntec 5W20 3750 miles or 3 months. She will hit the 3 months first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back