Oil Recommendation

Hello,

I recently purchased a trimmer mower for trimming along a long run of fence. It is a DR Power Pilot model. It has a 174cc OHC (7.0 ft lbs) Briggs and Stratton engine on it. I am looking to keep this machine running for a long time, so I need your expert opinion on what oil to feed it.

The manual states: "Use only SAE 30 high detergent oil classified "For Service SF, SG, SH, SJ” or higher"

Do I simply follow this recommendation? I can grab Super Tech SAE HD-30 during my next WalMart trip if that is the case. Would options from Rotella be overkill here?

I potentially could be operating this in temps in the 40's - 90's (degrees Fahrenheit).

Thank you.

If you're looking for a cheap but better than hd30 oil I'd look for really any diesel oil with the ford wss spec. You can get castrol gtx diesel for $10.97 in store at most home depots which I'd try to get first, Supertech diesel is around $12, and rotella t4 but it's about $13-14 now at Walmart. 1000ppm of zn and ph would be great and they're high detergent.

5 or 10w30 full synthetic would be my choice. Super tech is good stuff but any top flight oil will do.

But I'd run HD 30 for break in

The DR mower manual deviates from the actual Briggs and Stratton manual. Briggs says to use synthetic 5W30 for BEST results, and that SAE30 can be used above 40 degrees F. Briggs also says that 10W30 (conventional) can be used, but expect to have increased oil consumption above 80 degrees F.

I’d find an ACEA A3 synthetic 5W30 for colder climates or just standard Supertech SAE30 for warmer climates.

I often thought the manufacturers know most consumers don't service their OPE regularly so with hopes they'll at least read the manuals when first purchased. In manufacturers mindset

5w30 full synthetic best choice for longevity of oil life..

10w30 so common to be had.. if they read the manual and know higher consumption they'll top off regularly

It's a splash lubed engine. You can run basically anything that resembles oil in it and it will be fine, the key to long life in these engines is keeping the oil level full, and changing it often to get out the contaminants that are suspended in the oil, since these don't have oil filters.

I'd use whatever 5w30, 10w30, SAE 30, 5w40, 10w40, 15w40, etc, you can get on sale but change it yearly and that should be more than adequate.

Do I simply follow this recommendation? I can grab Super Tech SAE HD-30 during my next WalMart trip if that is the case. Would options from Rotella be overkill here?
Personally I would use the more severe recommendation from either the machine or the engine manufacturer, but use your better judgement between those two extremes. For example, I have a lawn tractor with a B&S V-Twin. The product manual calls for 10w-30. The B&S manual calls for 5w-30 up to 15w-50. Presently I split the difference by running 15w-40 RT6. Previously I ran synthetic 10w-30; I cannot sat that I have noticed any difference.

Back