Oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey,

I have a 1997 Toy 4runner with 126,000 miles. I do a lot of travelling, mostly highway, but a lot of off-road. I live in southern Arizona but travel frequently to colder areas (colorado, northern california, utah). What oil (brand, type, weight) would you recommend for my vehicle?

Thanks

What ever your manual suggests. For a Synthetic, Mobil 1 Extended Performance 10k + mile drain intervals based on oil analysis.

do you have any idea what was being used in it for the first 126k? Does it leak oil at all? How often have you been changing the oil? What brand type and weight have you been using?

quote:

Originally posted by Boaz:
do you have any idea what was being used in it for the first 126k? Does it leak oil at all? How often have you been changing the oil? What brand type and weight have you been using?

No idea what was being used before. No leaks, appears to be very well maintained. One owner, no maint records though. last used was penzoil 10w30. I've been told to go with amsoil.

m1 5/10-30 seems to be the magic tkt for the 3.4L and would do well in your region.. look at the oil analysis's in the uoa section on this board for the tacoma's and 4runners and it'll paint the picture for you.. the penzoil was a fine choice also and would do fine again if your not interested in extended drains. do a uoa and post it in the uoa section on your next change/drain if your not sure.

quote:

Originally posted by Zona4r:

quote:

Originally posted by Boaz:

No idea what was being used before. No leaks, appears to be very well maintained. One owner, no maint records though. last used was penzoil 10w30. I've been told to go with amsoil.

Ive seen first hand what penzoil does to and engine over time and its not pretty. My buddy works for an engine overhaul shop. Use autorx a few times with filter changes in between then go to amsoil or moble one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back