Oil Recommendation, please . . .

was the 2002 Boxster prone to IMS failure? 2004 to 2006ish were if i am recalling correctly
Sorry, but what is IMS?
IMO you're going to want to find a Porsche garage. Can you remove the oil cap while the engine is running?

I'll try to remove the oil cap while engine is running.
It can still be caused by running the oil level high and not letting it idle for a bit after parking.

My 996 blew smoke all the time with the oil full and almost never with the oil at the "add" line.

I hope this fix the smoke. Right now, oil level is 2/3 full.
Mobil 1 FS X2 5W-50.
Found M1 FS X2 5W-50 at Napa online, hope they really have them in stock.

IMS is InterMediate Shaft. It has a bearing that can fail and pop goes the weasel. I wouldn't worry about it; it has nothing to do with the smoke you're seeing.

I so hope your day time job is a Diplomat or maybe a grace & etiquette coach, you would be perfect.
I always read your posts, just to see who's next to get it between the eyes.
LOL
THIS one is in between the eyes🤣

Maxima ps 0w. Send it to it's death with an extra 5hp before it blows or burns it all away on its last rip.

I so hope your day time job is a Diplomat or maybe a grace & etiquette coach, you would be perfect.

Ran out of his attitude improvement medicine again...... Needs refill....

:)

Thanks for the suggestion.
I must follow him now.

Another recommendation for Mobil 1 0w-40. Porsche approved and used by many (if not most) of those posting on the Porsche Boxer forums. I don’t see where you need a 50 wt oil.

I use the 0w-40 in my ‘02 Jaguar as well, also in several classic cars. Well priced and available everywhere.

Sorry, but what is IMS?

I'll try to remove the oil cap while engine is running.

I hope this fix the smoke. Right now, oil level is 2/3 full.

Found M1 FS X2 5W-50 at Napa online, hope they really have them in stock.
Our small town NAPA had the Mobil 1 5W-50 in stock and on sale for $5.99/quart. Just got 4 for my 2011 BMW R1200R!

Back