Oil Recommendation, please . . .

My sister's car - 2002 Porsche Boxster 2.7L H6 Less than 100,000 miles. Only driven on Sunny days here in PNW, 2,000 miles/year.
Looking for engine oil recommendation for above. Last time she had the oil changed in Dec 2020, 2,000 miles earlier. The oil used was "European Syn 5W-40" no mention of brand of oil.

As stated, she only drives on nicer days with top down. Every cold start last few months, blue smoke comes out of tail pipe, none thereafter. Since the last oil change in Dec 2020, oil dipstick shows 1/3 below Full now. Looks like the Boxster is burning some oil, should I go for 10W-40 or continue using 5W-40? The ambient temp here is between 50 high, this morning was very cold at 25F, but mostly 35-40F. Thanks for your help.

Is Mobil 1 HM 10W-40, Castrol Edge or Liqui-Moly?

Purchasing the proper oil for a European vehicle is just about as easy as it gets. Buy an oil that has the approval listed in your owner’s manual. All of the flapping around in your post above it is neither helpful nor necessary.

There are examples of what you need at Walmart for a very reasonable price.

Make sure the oil is Porsche A40 approved.
Yes, a Porsche A40 approved oil, such as M1 or Edge or PP-Euro in 0W40 or 5W40. Just try a different brand and see if that helps. That's what I would do first.

If that didn't work, then I would go thicker, but keep the Porsche approval, you can get Mobil 1 FS X2 5W50 with Porsche A40. Link below

Yes, a Porsche A40 approved oil, such as M1 or Edge or PP-Euro in 0W40 or 5W40. Just try a different brand and see if that helps. That's what I would do first.

If that didn't work, then I would go thicker, but keep the Porsche approval, you can get Mobil 1 FS X2 5W50 with Porsche A40. Link below

Is this M1 FS X2 5W-50 Porsche A40 approved? If so, will try 5W-40 first, then try this.

Is Mobil 1, 5W-40 Porsche A40 approved?
I can't confirm it, I only see M1 5W-40 Formula M which doesn't have A40 approval.

Last edited:
Run what everyone runs in those cars: M1 Euro FS 0W-40. It has Porches A40 approval and is on the shelf at every Walmart.

If you're referring to Air Oil Separator, I doubt it's ever been replaced.
How often this need to be replaced?
I'd say every 100k or on condition. They're is a test you can do but it isn't definitive.

If that's what it is, sounds great.
You can also try letting the car idle for a minute or two before parking it. This gives the scavenge pumps time to remove the oil from the heads. Otherwise, the oil leaks a little into the cylinder and burns on re-start.

Is this M1 FS X2 5W-50 Porsche A40 approved? If so, will try 5W-40 first, then try this.
It is Porsche approved and Porsche sells a specific "Classic Oil" 5W-50 for the M96-engined cars. It is the preferred viscosity IMO.

She's now saying . . . the smoke is rather large. A huge smoke bomb coming out of a store, got her embarrassed, she says.
Sounded like something more than just a little oil burning.

She's now saying . . . the smoke is rather large. A huge smoke bomb coming out of a store, got her embarrassed, she says.
Sounded like something more than just a little oil burning.
It can still be caused by running the oil level high and not letting it idle for a bit after parking.

My 996 blew smoke all the time with the oil full and almost never with the oil at the "add" line.

Back