Oil Recommendation (new car)

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, hello all. This is my first post here having just discovered the board last week. I've been looking through it for information in regards to what oil may be best for me to use in my '03 Buick Century that I just bought last week.

The Buick has 10K mi on it and still has 2 years factory warranty left. The engine is GM's 3.1L V6.

After getting it home I changed out the oil to Havoline 5w30 with a Purolator filter - I was tempted to use Valvoline but steered clear of it after seeing some of the opinions of it on this board.

Previously in the Grand Am I traded in (same engine type as the Buick) I ran Valvoline 5w30 from new to 20K miles and then switched over to Mobil 1 using Purolator filters (and PurOne's when they were on sale). The Valvoline saw 3K mi changes and the Mobil 1 was changed at 4K mi or every 4 months.

I'm not adverse to using the Mobil 1 in the Buick except for cost.

I'm also curious as to opinions on the Oil Life Monitor. Would it be wise to go by it or just go by the good old "3K mi" method?

Alternatively I'm also considering using Havoline Synthetic 5w30 (assuming I can find some place around here that sells it - no luck so far) and just changing it when the oil monitor tells me its time. And yes I'm aware that Havoline sythn is mostly just a group III oil with possibly some PAO/Esters.

Mobil 1 is $3.54/qt around here (and I can get it for $3.30 with my discount through my employer). Alternatively I've seen the Havoline synth going for about $2.60 the one time I did see it last year and an auto parts store.

So any suggestions - and sorry for the lenght and rambling on.

Is 90¢ per quart significant for you?

That's a good price for the M1. Buy it.

For $3.30, I would definitely go for the M1 and shoot for at least 5k mile oil changes....with analisys of course. I tried the Havoline syn...didn't like it....engine sounded crappier that usual.
Rick

quote:

Originally posted by Forkman:
First, hello all. This is my first post here having just discovered the board last week. I've been looking through it for information in regards to what oil may be best for me to use in my '03 Buick Century that I just bought last week.

The Buick has 10K mi on it and still has 2 years factory warranty left. The engine is GM's 3.1L V6.

After getting it home I changed out the oil to Havoline 5w30 with a Purolator filter - I was tempted to use Valvoline but steered clear of it after seeing some of the opinions of it on this board.

Previously in the Grand Am I traded in (same engine type as the Buick) I ran Valvoline 5w30 from new to 20K miles and then switched over to Mobil 1 using Purolator filters (and PurOne's when they were on sale). The Valvoline saw 3K mi changes and the Mobil 1 was changed at 4K mi or every 4 months.

I'm not adverse to using the Mobil 1 in the Buick except for cost.

I'm also curious as to opinions on the Oil Life Monitor. Would it be wise to go by it or just go by the good old "3K mi" method?

Alternatively I'm also considering using Havoline Synthetic 5w30 (assuming I can find some place around here that sells it - no luck so far) and just changing it when the oil monitor tells me its time. And yes I'm aware that Havoline sythn is mostly just a group III oil with possibly some PAO/Esters.

Mobil 1 is $3.54/qt around here (and I can get it for $3.30 with my discount through my employer). Alternatively I've seen the Havoline synth going for about $2.60 the one time I did see it last year and an auto parts store.

So any suggestions - and sorry for the lenght and rambling on.

Here's what I'd do.

Go to Wal-Mart and get either the 5w-30 or 10w-30 five quart jug of Mobil1 for $18.88. Unless it gets super cold, run 10w-30.

Now the filter that is spec'd for the car I believe crosses to the Purolator L10111. Don't run this filter (unless you want to)! As long as it fits (shouldn't be a problem unless they've changed to filter mounting location), run the filter that crosses with the Purolator L24011. It's the same diameter and thread pattern, but is a few inches longer.

Personally, I'd go to AutoZone (or whoever carries them in your area) and pick up the K&N oil filter...part number HP-2001 I believe.

cool.gif
cheers.gif

Why not go with the "AC Delco"
filter ? You should be able to get them at "AutoZone" around $3.50 + Tx
Best of Luck with your new Buick.

I say go with the $3.30 M1 vs the $3.77 M1 from Walmart
rolleyes.gif
and your usual 4k/4months interval. What is GM's recomended OCI anyway?

[ August 29, 2003, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: pinoy99 ]

quote:

Originally posted by W.T.McGlynn:
cool.gif
cheers.gif

Why not go with the "AC Delco"
filter ?

I probably should since I use it on my fiancee's 94 Regal as its the only filter the fits the "cap" wrench correctly, and it would simplify things. That year of Regal with the 3800 is one of the lovely through the wheel well contortionist jobs to change the filter.

On her Regal I use Mobil 1 10w30 which I change at every 4K mi or 4 months as she does a lot of short trip driving in it. The car's got 120K mi on it and was switched over to Mobil 1 about 30K mi ago shortly after we bought it to fix an oil pressure problem. Whenever the engine and oil was fully warmed up, the oil pressure would drop drastically when comming up to a stoplight and idling. The Mobil 1 took care of that and as a side benefit quieted the engine down a bit (even though it wasn't really that noisy to begin with).

Forkman, don't forget about your warranty when you choose oil type, weight and a filter. I would check with your owner’s manual and the dealer about this. My vote would be with Mobil 1 in the recommended weight and what the dealer recommends for a filter, probably an AC Delco, like W.T.McGlynn said. I have a Ranger pickup under warranty and I had 2 different dealers strongly recommend I use the Ford Motorcraft filter for warranty purposes.

quote:

Originally posted by pinoy99:
What is GM's recomended OCI anyway?

The manual doesn't specify one and simply says to change it when the oil life monitor says so or at a minimum once every year since it is possible that under "ideal" conditions the oil life monitor may not come on for over a year/over 12K mi.

Interestingly it also says that should you forget to reset the oil change light after an oil change you "must change the oil after 3000 mi".

Let me pose this question then. Would anyone see any problem using a synthetic (most likely Mobil 1 as its the typically the cheapest in my area) a good quality filter (such as PurOne or Wix) and simply changing the oil based on when the Oil Life Monitor trips the "change now" light on the dash. After all, the oil life monitor's algorithm's are based on the assumption of a conventional "dino" oil being used.

Well, according to GM 'In general, most people that drive a combination of city and highway find that the GMOLS will indicate an oil change every 5000 to 6000 miles' so IMO this looks good for M1.

quote:

Let me pose this question then. Would anyone see any problem using a synthetic (most likely Mobil 1 as its the typically the cheapest in my area) a good quality filter (such as PurOne or Wix) and simply changing the oil based on when the Oil Life Monitor trips the "change now" light on the dash. After all, the oil life monitor's algorithm's are based on the assumption of a conventional "dino" oil being used.

This method should work very well actually, since you are correct, GM's oil life monitor assumes you're using dino oil, so it's calibrated differently than the one for the Corvette, which assumes you're using synthetic (so it'll go longer before hitting zero)

When I had my 97 Grand Prix GTP, I was doing 5k oil changes, and IIRC the oil life monitor was usually down to 30% by that time. I used Mobil 1 in it.

quote:

I like it! But only change the filter, pull a UOA sample, & top up with fresh M1, then go 2x the OLM. The UOAs will provide oil quality documentation for warranty purposes, & 3MP's study is proving this can be done.

[ August 29, 2003, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: Eiron ]

quote:

Originally posted by Eiron:
I like it! But only change the filter, pull a UOA sample, & top up with fresh M1, then go 2x the OLM. The UOAs will provide oil quality documentation for warranty purposes, & 3MP's study is proving this can be done. [/QB]

Thanks for the recommends everyone. I think after the initial 3K mi on the Havoline I'll just switch it over to Mobil 1 and simply go by the oil life monitor.

As for the oil analysis to push the life beyond the oil monitor indicator... with the price of Mobil 1 around here with my discount ($3.40/qt including tax) I can do a complete oil change for $23 ($3.40x5qts+$6 for NAPA Gold or PurOne filter). Why spend $20+ on an oil analysis when I can change it and have an entire fresh batch of Mobil in the engine. I mean look at it this way. Lets assume the oil life monitor comes on on average of every 5K mi. I drive no more than 15K mi/yr. So money spent on analysis vs. simple changing when the light comes on in one year:
Initial fill = $23
5K - oil analysis = $20 oil good
5K - oil analysis = $20 oil good but possible need to change soon
3K - oil analysis = $20 oil bad change now, +$23 for oil change.
$106/yr with analysis and $2 changes of oil vs. 3 changes over 15K = $69 and the bonus of fresh oil 3 times over the same time span.

I may though run an analysis on my fiancee's Regal. With 120K I suspect it has some problems with fuel dillution of the oil and I'd like to see what the wear numbers are so that I can make a determination whether the 4K mi Mobil 1 changes on that are necessary or can be extended.

[ August 29, 2003, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: Forkman ]

quote:

As for the oil analysis to push the life beyond the oil monitor indicator... with the price of Mobil 1 around here with my discount ($3.40/qt including tax) I can do a complete oil change for $23 ($3.40x5qts+$6 for NAPA Gold or PurOne filter). Why spend $20+ on an oil analysis when I can change it and have an entire fresh batch of Mobil in the engine. I mean look at it this way. Lets assume the oil life monitor comes on on average of every 5K mi. I drive no more than 15K mi/yr. So money spent on analysis vs. simple changing when the light comes on in one year:
Initial fill = $23
5K - oil analysis = $20 oil good
5K - oil analysis = $20 oil good but possible need to change soon
3K - oil analysis = $20 oil bad change now, +$23 for oil change.
$106/yr with analysis and $2 changes of oil vs. 3 changes over 15K = $69 and the bonus of fresh oil 3 times over the same time span.

forkman,

Sorry, I should've explained a little better. I agree, UOAs do not reduce your initial maintenance costs. But by performing UOA now, you will have the data you need to extend your intervals without UOAs (& without fear of having any warranty claims denied) once you're out of warranty. And some places offer complete UOAs for as little $15. One UOA at the first OLM interval & another when you change the oil at the second will give you all the info you need. Ultimately, this will reward you with the biggest savings.

But this is really just a reflection of my desire to reduce costs & consumption while keeping protection high. I don't want to sacrifice my engine's safety for environmental reasons, but I also don't want to dump perfectly useful oil before it's necessary.

I aso agree with the others: your plan is safely conservative in its scope.

[ August 30, 2003, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Eiron ]

quote:

Originally posted by pinoy99:
I say go with the $3.30 M1 vs the $3.77 M1 from Walmart
rolleyes.gif
and your usual 4k/4months interval. What is GM's recomended OCI anyway?

This is just for laughs guys....

you know the funny thing about common sense?
It isn't very common!
grin.gif

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back