Oil recommendation for MB diesel w/ 230K miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am the new owner of a Benz 240D w/ 230K miles. What would be your recommended lube oil to use in the car? I've never used synthetics; are they all the same & "better" than mineral oils?

Thanks.

Please use a CI-4 rated oil. The most popular grade is 15W-40. Delo, Delvac, Rotella, etc. are all excellent and available everywhere. Synthetic versions of the above, plus Amsoil are also made, but are harder to find.

IMO 230,000 miles is not the best time to try synthetics, the risk of small seepage becoming real leaks is too great. Also, blowby contamination is problably high, so you want to change it frequently. Many of the advantages of expensive synthetics will be lost with frequent changes.

I have used Petro Canada synthetic in my 240D Benz for 10,000 mile per change and first analysis showed 33PPM iron and 1PPM chrome. The soot was at 6%!

I have a bypass filter so this might not represent what your results would be.

Since you live in a warm climate you might as well use cheaper CI 4 oil and change it at 3000

[ April 08, 2003, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: Jim ]

I agree with Jimbo. Use any Name Brand CI-4/SL 15w-40 motor oil and don't bother with Synthetic Oil. If your Mercedes uses much oil then change every 3,000 miles.

Any thoughts on using an oil analysis to figure out what's going inside? I know some will argue that save your money and just change the oil & filters gets the job done. My opinion is that it could pay, just like getting an occaisional blood and x-rays tests for your body.

quote:

Originally posted by Sin City:
I agree with Jimbo. Use any Name Brand CI-4/SL 15w-40 motor oil and don't bother with Synthetic Oil. If your Mercedes uses much oil then change every 3,000 miles.

Use Rotella-T, Delo 400, or Delvac 1300 in the 15w-40 grade. I change every 3,000 miles.

On these oils and every 3,000 to 5,000 miles, you'll have no probs.

Best of the bunch would be Schaeffer #700 15W-40, then Pennzoil Long-Life, Mobil Delvac 1300S or Chevron Delo 400, and Shell Rotella-T is probably the bottom rung but adequate oil. If you try the Schaeffer, get a couple of their really cheap analysis kits and do analysis to determine a good oil drain interval for your car...it'll be a money saver.

Ken

[ April 16, 2003, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back