Oil recommendation for engine storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there something that "clings" well to engine internals over time, up to a year or more?

I have a few cars and motors that sit around in storage for long periods. On one vehicle with a Nissan SR motor, I started using some Amsoil Z-Rod 10W30 a couple years ago. I typically have the motor started up again within 7 months after being in storage over winter. This year I did not get around to it until about 13 months. I ran into issues getting oil pressure on the first start because the oil pump had lost it's prime. Luckily I was cranking with the plugs removed. I tried about 4 times cranking for 10-15 seconds with no luck, this was strange to me because typically in the past I would get pressure within 5 seconds, so I stopped. I removed the oil filter and using a filter bypass adapter block, was able to pour some oil into the filter housing so it could drain down and wet the oil pump gears. That did the trick and my oil pressure was back within 10 seconds of cranking.

Now I know a pre-oiler or accumulator (like an Accusump) would be ideal in my situation. But as for an oil, is there something better I could be using? Heavier/lighter? Especially to protect components during extended crank times with no oil pressure?

Thanks all!

Last edited:
Years ago Hein Gericke, Polo and other bike shops sold winter storage oil, it was basically a cheap heavy dino oil with no add pack to speak of so I would guess a heavy single grade oil with some thick snot like the old STP in the mix..
I did pull the rocker box off one engine a year after this stuff was put in and it was still hanging on the cam lobes.

No oil you can buy will cling to engine parts for a long time - maybe Magnatec, Red Line or Cummins Premium Blue Restore due to the fact they are ester based.

Your best bet is to spray fogging oil through the intake and then treat each cylinder individually. Wouldn't hurt to close off the intake and exhaust.

I think any oil that you normally use is just fine for a least a year. If your concerned about dry starts, then pull the fuel pump fuse and crank the engine for 5 to 10 seconds to get oil flowing. Replace fuse, start and enjoy. Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back