Motor Oil In Engine During Storage Period

I store my Jeep in my garage for about 5 months each year and put in fresh oil an filter prior to storage and start it up and let it idle for 15 minutes once a month. My question is should I replace my oil again once my storage period is up prior to putting the vehicle back in service?
Thanks in advance for your comments

For one, you should probably not even start it. Just keep the battery charged is all I ever do anymore. I have 5 vehicles that have to sit all winter. I just try and keep the oil changed on them once a year with limited driving whenever I get to it.

+2

Unless you're going to get it fully warmed up, which is difficult to do while idling, you're doing more harm than good.

How much more harm is debatable, probably in the long run with modern manufacturing methods and oils, not a whole lot. Still, it is probably better to keep the battery charged and just start it when you're ready to use it again.

Even used oil isn't used up oil, it will protect the inside of the engine from rusting. And it won't be "acid."

Keep the mice and squirrels out, rodents ruin a lot more parked vehicles than the oil.

how long do u think oil that lubricates the motor stays there before completely ending up in the pan?? Talk about a beyond terrible idea!

My fathers S10 will sit for months on end without running. We just make sure the battery stays charged. Over a two year period he puts under 1500 miles . I change the oil every two years.
Running Formula Shell 5W-30 . No engine issues.
Just my two cents.

how long do u think oil that lubricates the motor stays there before completely ending up in the pan?? Talk about a beyond terrible idea!
Gravity can only allow so much oil to flow/drip off parts, and as others said there will be an oil film left on parts pretty much indefinitely. If it sits a week or a year without starting, the same clinging oil film will exist.

And yes, starting and running for 15 minutes is a very bad thing to do. Only time I ever start my stored vehicle is if I can take it out for a long drive so the oil gets to full temperature for a long time. A long drive is also what I do before putting it up for winter to ensure the oil is fuel and condensation free as possible.

I store my Jeep in my garage for about 5 months each year and put in fresh oil an filter prior to storage and start it up and let it idle for 15 minutes once a month. My question is should I replace my oil again once my storage period is up prior to putting the vehicle back in service?
Thanks in advance for your comments
You could change it before storage every year, but as said, I wouldn’t let it idle. If you have to start it, make sure you can take it out for a good drive too.

When storing for winter is it best to change the oil before storage and then use it the next summer or store with used oil and change it in the spring before using for the summer?

When storing for winter is it best to change the oil before storage and then use it the next summer or store with used oil and change it in the spring before using for the summer?

Doesn’t matter. I prefer to change it when coming out of storage to make sure there is no water in the oil from condensation.

Back