Oil Recommendation For BMW M52TU engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I have a Petrol/LPG BMW E46 with a M52TUB20 engine, the car is from 1999. I use Liqui Moly TopTec 4200 5W30 in the car, but, from what I've read, the oil isn't that good and the price is pretty high. I'm looking for a better alternative then.

The weather is not too hot and neither too cold. We can have temperatures between 5 and 35ºC (-5 to 40ºC in some areas)

I do 2 short trips per day 1.4km each (1 in the early morning and other in late afternoon), 2 trips of 40km 1 day/week (on highway) and, less often, 2 trips of 150km per month (on highway).

My driving style is normal, and I barely go above 140km/h.

I'm trying to find an oil that respects BMW LL-01 recommendation, but it's hard to find in here (Portugal). BMW LL-04 is more available, and I know I can use that type of approval in Europe, but will I benefit from it?

My main goal is an oil that gives good protection to the engine during 10k km/1 year oil service.

Here's some oils I've searched that I may get access to and are LL-01 approved:

TOTAL Quartz INEO LongLife 5W30
TOTAL Quartz 9000 5W-40
TOTAL Quartz 9000 energy 5W-40
MOTUL 8100 X-Cess 5W-40
MOBIL Super 3000 x1 5W-40

Which one would you choose and why?

Thank you!

Use the cheapest LL04 you can find if it's cheaper. Think of LL04 as LL01 which has been engineered for ultra low sulphur gasoline. I'm assuming Portugal only pumps ultra low sulphur gasoline and of course if you don't know this you can just contact your local BMW dealer to find out what they're using.

Theoretically all oils with the same oil cert should perform the same.

Last edited:
Where did you read that Liqui Moly TopTec 4200 "isn't that good"? I'd love to see some technical-based evidence that one oil with a BMW approval is better than another with the same approval.

From what I've read, LL04 is more critical to DPF engines, but will it have a less protective spec to my engine? Because only the oil composition will give me that info right?

Originally Posted by PT_Bimmer
From what I've read, LL04 is more critical to DPF engines, but will it have a less protective spec to my engine? Because only the oil composition will give me that info right?

Can you give links to this second thing you've read, where LL-04 oils have a "less protective spec"?

The oil composition will give you none of that information really. Here's what the Lubrizol comparison tool shows:

[Linked Image]

I'm questioning, not affirming.

I'm new to this, so much information and still lot of questions in my head.

How do you choose an oil for your car then?

I'm questioning, not affirming.

I'm new to this, so much information and still lot of questions in my head.

How do you choose an oil for your car then?

By specification or approval. There is no other reliable way to do so.

Yes, but within spec, there oils that are better than others or not? They can meet spec but have different properties, elements, that give the engine better protection, with less wear and prevent problems.

Originally Posted by kschachn

Can you give links to this second thing you've read, where LL-04 oils have a "less protective spec"?

The oil composition will give you none of that information really. Here's what the Lubrizol comparison tool shows:

[Linked Image]

OK, that's interesting, didn't knew about it.

Here's some info I've found from BMW, that lead me to concentrate only in LL01.

[Linked Image]

Well "protection" is the same between an LL-01 and an LL-04 oil. The reason they have two dots for low temperature flow is because the 5W is being compared against a 0W rated oil, which in your situation is meaningless. The difference between a 0W and 5W oil is only important when the ambient temperature is below -32C or colder. Otherwise there's nothing in that chart that illustrates a difference between the two approvals.

You mean buying BMW branded oil? I wouldn't do that, like has been mentioned already I'd buy the least expensive oil that has actual BMW approval. I buy Castrol 0W-40 at Walmart here in the US but whatever you can get in Portugal is up to you. As has been mentioned it won't make any difference if it is a Longlife-01 or Longlife-04 oil, just make sure it has actual approval and isn't only "recommended for" the application. If you want to buy the BMW branded oil then either one is fine but here in the US that is more expensive than what is avaliable at Walmart.

Yes, but within spec, there oils that are better than others or not? They can meet spec but have different properties, elements, that give the engine better protection, with less wear and prevent problems.

Theoretically other than a slight hit to fuel economy with a 40w vs 30w there is no difference in terms of performance. The vast selection of different weights is just a way of satisfying consumer preferences. Some customers simply prefer one weight over another.

For example I prefer to run LL01FE (0w30) in my 4-series because I do a lot of intra-urban highway driving at moderate speeds.

Last edited:
I was hoping for a discussion regarding oil elements such as amount of Mo, Bo or ZDDP... like this:

[Linked Image]

The main problem there is that I can't have any of those oils in my country, or shipping rates are too much
frown.gif

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

Theoretically other than a slight hit to fuel economy with a 40w vs 30w there is no difference in terms of performance. The vast selection of different weights is just a way of satisfying consumer preferences. Some customers simply prefer one weight over another.

For example I prefer to run LL01FE (0w30) in my 4-series because I do a lot of intra-urban highway driving at moderate speeds.

Yes, some discussion like this, I wish to understand better what defines a good oil and what values really mean something. You don't need to explain everything, I've read the main topics in the main website from BITOG.

But hey, let's get a nice discussion
smile.gif

If you want to have someone tell you that an oil without the required approval does in fact meet the approval requirements, based on a table like that, then it won't be me. Performance tests to ascertain approvals are rigorous and detailed and not determined by a table of numbers.

It's a typical newbie errand to try and do so but that's not how it works.

Yes, some discussion like this, I wish to understand better what defines a good oil and what values really mean something. You don't need to explain everything, I've read the main topics in the main website from BITOG. )

The approvals listed on the container really mean something. The rest, not so much.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Yes, some discussion like this, I wish to understand better what defines a good oil and what values really mean something. You don't need to explain everything, I've read the main topics in the main website from BITOG. )

The approvals listed on the container really mean something. The rest, not so much.

Exactly. Functionally, oils that carry the same approvals are the same. Pick your favorite brand or bottle design.

I use Castrol Edge 0W-40 in my 1999 BMW E46 and have used this oil for years. It works well, is easy to find and it seems to be a fantastic product. My E46 is twenty years old now and running along just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back