Oil recommendation for Acura Integra

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTD

Looking for a recommendation for an Acura Integra with 140k miles and oil consumption

Currently using Valvoline max life 10w40 and it consumes a pretty good amount of oil.
Is there anything better I can use that I can pick up at Walmart?

Maxlife full synthetic and M1 HM are usually available at WM. Both are available in 5w30 and 10w30. M1HM is also available in 10w40.

I would use M1 0w40. It's cheap in US and will reduce your oil consumption. For some reason i never liked Valvoline products.
Shell Rotella 5w40 is good oil too.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, Will check for Valvoline and M1 at my local walmart and see which I can get cheaper

Any idea where the consumption is coming from? My '95 Integra with over 200,000 miles on it hardly consumes anything over a 5,000 mile oil change interval. I've used almost every oil out there in it, and I haven't noticed a difference among them all. I'm using MaxLife Synthetic 5W-30 in it right now and it pretty much stopped the leaking oil pan gasket... I'm not sure if there would be much better for your situation than what you're using, aside from fixing the cause of the consumption.

I honestly no idea where its coming from. It started consuming oil when I hit 100k on it.

You are either leaking, burning or evaporating it. Slide a large piece of cardboard under your car when it is parked for a long time. I have had two mid 90's Accords and on the second one the oil sending unit started leaking oil pretty badly, along the lines of a quart every 2 weeks. Do you know how to remove the spark plugs? They will tell you if you are burning oil. If your spark plug wires are covered with oil when you remove them, you have a gasket in the valve covers that is bad and leaking oil there, but it will only leak so much until that spark plug hole is full. Even if you get oil all over your spark plug when you remove it, it won't look the same as burned oil on a spark plug looks. If you are evaporating it, switch brands. The semi-synthetic oil that an Acura/Honda dealer sells is only about $5/quart and, according to research online, is made by Conoco Phillips. If you have a very bad leak, like the oil sending unit, just use the standard Supertech from Walmart until you can get it fixed. Synthetic, even Supertech, will only leak worse.

I've owned three Acuras, and if it was me I'd switch back to a factory recommended weight. That should be 5w-30 or 10w-30 depending on the model year. I don't think 10w-40 is recommended. Walmart sells Quaker State Defy, which is a good option.

And what Norman said above. Only use what is recommended in the manual, I'm quite sure it is not 10W40. It very likely is 5w-30 or 5W-20 depending on the year of the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back